Couple of ?'s about 3 deeps

Default Couple of ?'s about 3 deeps

We are running a 3 deep set up because of the recommendation by the U of MN. They have filled the 3rd with all honey and are finalizing the capping. We have also had supers on for almost a month and they haven't touched it.

1. Should we have brought a brood frame up to that box originally?

2. Should I take out the couple of frames that are fully capped and replace with non drawn out ones in hope they will fill by fall?

It seems to me they have room but my main concern now would be swarming with 1 box completely full of honey. Also we were not even planning to have honey this first year but seeing them go to town on this deep made me hopeful and now I'm trying to figure out anyway to get some. If it doesn't happen that's fine the bees are the priority here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Couple of ?'s about 3 deeps

You can put the super under the 3rd deep. Increases the odds.

Yes you can rotate your capped out to store or rotate to the outside and undrawn into the center.

What is happening in the 2 lower boxes? Are they all drawn out and not being back filled or capped?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Are the honey supers foundation?

-Putting the super(s) under the 3rd box sounds like a good idea except for the weight and height the box would be at haha. Im thinking maybe we were premature putting on the supers? We had our other hive swarm by not being proactive and wanted to make sure this one had room if they really went at the production.

-Bottom 2 boxes still are showing eggs, larva, and capped brood/honey. Just wondering what would happen if all those became full.

yes they are foundation

It's the bees call. Two hives side by side will move to the next box totally differently. If you do not want to reverse then try a drawn super frame partially filled from your other hive. Next choice, pull a frame from the deep and slide it down so it is partially in both boxes.

Just when you think a hive is going to explode in late spring they have a tendency to shrink. But there is no rule that an individual hive will follow.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Thanks for the info. Was actually thinking about putting the deep from in the supers last time I checked up on them. Might have to do that now.

Does the queen start to lay by necessity at this point? Even with all stages it seems there was plenty of comb left open