caging queens - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: caging queens

Default Re: caging queens

Never lay a caged queen with or with out attendents in the sun. I learned that one the hard way too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Tough year here for raising queens. Too cold, too wet, then too hot. The July 3rd catch...had to set up a canopy for shade so I could keep the caged queens as cool as possible. And, to keep myself shaded...I sit at my table and mark/cage all the queens. Then took them home in air conditioned truck, and onto my living room table. Over the next two days I lost more than a dozen of those queens. Dead queens. Dead attendants. Never had this happen before. Maybe one once in a great while. All I can think...it was the heat. Sure didn't help with my queen orders. I hate canceling orders.

Bought 2 Qs last month at a field day from a breeder.
    He brings Qs individually caged in a battery box with plenty of bees and a lg damp sponge.Temps were upper 80s but he kept them in the shade.Qs were carried home in a paper lunch bag with small holes punched with a pencil and attendants on the outside of the cages.
    Mike,didn't you do the same when you brought the virgins to EAS in Del?

Quote Originally Posted by KRhodes View Post
    Never lay a caged queen with or with out attendents in the sun. I learned that one the hard way too.
    ayuh........now i know i'll never do again
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grimshaw View Post
    Mike,didn't you do the same when you brought the virgins to EAS in Del?
    Mine had attendants in the cages. Don’t remember about Zac’s.

Did you set the queen cage on the hive next door? I've had the bees next door kill a queen when I did that. Then there is the heat, as already mentioned. I put the cage in my pocket so next door bees don't attack. I pretty much always put attendants in. I have never used marshmallows...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Did you set the queen cage on the hive next door? I've had the bees next door kill a queen when I did that. Then there is the heat, as already mentioned. I put the cage in my pocket so next door bees don't attack. I pretty much always put attendants in. I have never used marshmallows...
    Yea not sure where i heard the marshmallow thing but know thats not standard. gotta make some fondant next year.
    The cover was on the hive and there were zero bees on her cage. Had to be the heat/sun. And the lack of attendants maybe.
    Terrence

Using a marshmallow is a quick hack but does not give you the necessary delay in release. A little Karo and some powdered sugar makes a much better candy plug. I keep some in a Rubbermaid container so it is ready to use when I need it.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Using a marshmallow is a quick hack but does not give you the necessary delay in release. A little Karo and some powdered sugar makes a much better candy plug. I keep some in a Rubbermaid container so it is ready to use when I need it.
    It doesn't get hard sitting around? I didn't need the delay so wasn't worried. Its possible she might have got stuck in it and suffocated. it was sticky and she was stuck in it when i shook the cage after seeing she wasn't moving.
    Terrence

Nope, stays soft whith the lid on. I keep it in the drawer with my queen clips and cages.

The melted marshmallow was your proof that heat was the issue with the queen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12