Question regarding future of honey bee species...?

Default Question regarding future of honey bee species...?

This is pure speculation.

And I get that the best bee type is whatever will survive, not necessarily pure genetics...and I guess the great beekeepers say this.

But I was wondering if eventually you guys think that in North America, things will get so muddied that there won't really be any pure italians, or carnolians, or others anymore, but just end up with things being labeled but starting to all look the same?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question regarding future of honey bee species...?

If left to beekeepers (i.e. uncontrolled matings), then this could indeed eventually occur - but in universities and research centres up and down your country (and indeed in other countries too) there are guys using genetic markers and artificial insemination techniques to ensure that certain sub-types continue to exist.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Default Re: Question regarding future of honey bee species...?

>But I was wondering if eventually you guys think that in North America, things will get so muddied that there won't really be any pure italians, or carnolians, or others anymore, but just end up with things being labeled but starting to all look the same?

They just keep saying the yellow ones are Italians and the black ones are Carniolans. They are already so muddied up that they are not really distinguishable. That happened 50 years ago...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF