Knocked down tree hive.

Default Knocked down tree hive.

Hi Everyone. I just got a call from a guy who had a tree knocked down in the storm we had over the weekend. Apparently there was a nest in the tree, and the bees are being very aggressive. I had helped a friend of his with a swarm earlier this year. He is wondering if I can help him out. I am going to check it out in a couple hours. Any suggestions for the best way to deal with it? I am think of cutting the tree open where the bees are, pulling out as much comb as I can and setting it up in hive body, and hoping I get the queen along with. Leave it there for a few days and then collect it after dark. Thoughts? Is this likely to work? Any other method suggested? Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Knocked down tree hive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobs346 View Post
    Hi Everyone. I just got a call from a guy who had a tree knocked down in the storm we had over the weekend. Apparently there was a nest in the tree, and the bees are being very aggressive. I had helped a friend of his with a swarm earlier this year. He is wondering if I can help him out. I am going to check it out in a couple hours. Any suggestions for the best way to deal with it? I am think of cutting the tree open where the bees are, pulling out as much comb as I can and setting it up in hive body, and hoping I get the queen along with. Leave it there for a few days and then collect it after dark. Thoughts? Is this likely to work? Any other method suggested? Thanks for any help!
    If the nest cavity itself is intact you could possibly cut above and below the cavity and keep them in a log hive temporarily until such time as you could modify the log hive to transition them to a removable-frame hive?

Here is our own Patrick Thomas doing something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFkLYdzZxNc

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    If the nest cavity itself is intact you could possibly cut above and below the cavity and keep them in a log hive temporarily until such time as you could modify the log hive to transition them to a removable-frame hive?

Here is our own Patrick Thomas doing something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFkLYdzZxNc
    +1
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Thanks guys! Sadly it turned out to be a nest of hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by bobs346 View Post
    Thanks guys! Sadly it turned out to be a nest of hornets.
    Well, well! Now I can see where the aggressive behavior come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Well, well! Now I can see where the aggressive behavior come from.
    bobs346:

Sorry to hear this- I know it is disappointing to miss out on the prospect of free bees... and those hornets are definitely mean buggers.