Looking for a Wyoming person about antelope

Default Looking for a Wyoming person about antelope

I won the drawing for the Wyoming super tag antelope and looking for some input. any help would be nice.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Looking for a Wyoming person about antelope

I used to live there. There is a lot of BLM land you can hunt on. I would have a good long range rifle. Shots typically are a long way off. .25-06 or 6.5x55mm Ack Imp would be my first two choices... but other good long range cartridges could work. I would have a bipod on the rifle.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Drop me a pm. I’m certainly not an expert (my wife kills the “big” bucks) but may be able to help you a bit....or send you to someone who can! And.......congratulations! memtb

Mr. Bush....you never cease to amaze me! I suspect that most beekeepers wouldn’t know an Ackley Improved from a Pit Bull! memtb

I use a pair of Styr's chambered in .270. Debating using my with Barnes hand loads or just factory. They like a different hand loads but both do well with factory ammo.
    The old man taught us to pick a load that you can get in a hardware store anywhere in the world: 25-06, 270 30-06, 338 win mag. If you can not get it done with one of them you may as well stay home.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

deleted!
    Last edited by Memtb; 08-08-2019 at 07:24 PM.

>The old man taught us to pick a load that you can get in a hardware store anywhere in the world: 25-06, 270 30-06, 338 win mag.

And in Wyoming you can get all of those at the gas station... but anymore everything else is special order except .223, .308 and whatever is the newest fad. Can't find .250 savage in stock anymore...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

My AI is a little harder to feed....but not too bad. .375 H&H’s are pretty easy to find in most bigger towns. Though.....you can’t buy AI’s! If I can’t feed mine....I’ll just use my wife’s .338 WM. Those you can find those (as you stated) almost everywhere here in the west! memtb

I was born and raised in Wyoming, with two brothers outfitting for everything but antelope out of Thayne, Wyoming. Michael Bush is correct about expecting a 100-300 yard shot. A 7mm or 270 will do a bit better than a smaller bore while you are accounting for the wind you are likely to experience out in the open where they live. A Variable scope, or at least a 6X (that is what my dad used) would be recommended as well. Antelope are beautiful in their habitat and uniquely suited for running away from a predator. They smell (strongly) like sage brush. HTH
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Thumbs Up Re: Looking for a Wyoming person about antelope

Drop me a pm. I’m certainly not an expert (my wife kills the “big” bucks) but may be able to help you a bit....or send you to someone who can! And.......congratulations! memtb
    Unless the laws have changed, you don't need a guide when you are hunting with a Wyoming resident.

Lburou, Thane! My wife and I used to hunt the Smith’s Fork Area all the time! Got my 49” moose up the hill from Bedford! memtb

Quote Originally Posted by Memtb View Post
    Lburou, Thane! My wife and I used to hunt the Smith’s Fork Area all the time! Got my 49” moose up the hill from Bedford! memtb
    Some good eating there! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >The old man taught us to pick a load that you can get in a hardware store anywhere in the world: 25-06, 270 30-06, 338 win mag.

And in Wyoming you can get all of those at the gas station... but anymore everything else is special order except .223, .308 and whatever is the newest fad. Can't find .250 savage in stock anymore...
    Ahh yes the 250 Savage, shot a yote just last weekend with one. Had mine for 30 years and love it. Best load is the Factory Remington, still available, a bit pricey but on the shelf still.

I do love the .250 savage, but no one around here seems to have it on the shelf anymore. I have to handload it or order it mail order.

Well the 270 did the job. I was concerned as it was close to 70 yards that the wind may have affected the shot. he is heavy and about 15" but I do not think the cutters will get me into the book.

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    Well the 270 did the job. I was concerned as it was close to 70 yards that the wind may have affected the shot. he is heavy and about 15" but I do not think the cutters will get me into the book.
    Well done!

>Well the 270 did the job. I was concerned as it was close to 70 yards...

Well, for antelope that is a very close shot. 300 yards is a fairly close shot on antelope on the high plains. I'm used to shooting prarie dogs at a half mile...