Found these "pellets" among the usual dead bees near my rooftop hive...cause?

Question Found these "pellets" among the usual dead bees near my rooftop hive...cause?

IMG_6758.jpgIMG_6755.jpg. They look like something chewed up dead bees and regurgitated out pellets full of broken exoskeleton? Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I've seen jays fly in to eat dead bees, but they don't stick around. I just got my start this past April with a nuc. I am based in the SF bay area. Thanks for any insights you may have!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Found these "pellets" among the usual dead bees near my rooftop hive...cause?

Skunk
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    I always have an idea what I shouldn't have done after the fact.

Default Re: Found these "pellets" among the usual dead bees near my rooftop hive...cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    Skunk
    On a rooftop hive?

I have no idea who is responsible for this carnage.

I have no idea what kind of bee eaters you have lurking on your roof.

They look too small for a skunk. Skunks leave clumps of many bees. That looks more like one chewed up bee. A shrew maybe.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Yes, very small, no bigger than a regular dead bee...
    My beekeeping mentor thinks it could be the work of a spider. There are plenty of spiders and webs around my hive.
    Just curious, thanks for the replies!