How to treat OH for mites?

Default How to treat OH for mites?

In mid-MD I maintain two OHs. One at Earth Space & Science Lab. One at a Nature Center. Single layer. Shallow frame over three deeps.

I have never treated for mites. The ESSL swarms every year. Intentionally. I had a couple extra Apivar strips the other day, so I added one to each of the hive entrances. Shown is the very strong ESSL and its entrance. Do you treat for mites somehow? If so, what technique do you use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to treat OH for mites?

I have rotated Apivar and Apistan in my observation hive. The strips would be more effective if you put them in the brood area instead of in the entrance.

There's a very small dosage recommendation for OAV. Can you go in when no one else is there? I run a number of them, too, and plan to use mu Provap110 right in the entrance.

I do mine through a 1/4" hole about 2/3rds of the way up between the 2nd and third frame. I put cotton balls in all the vents wear a mask and have the room closed off. with 6 medium frames I used 2 grams of OA per treatment as I watch the vapor to make sure it gets everywhere and 2 grams sure does. I have done 4 treatments 5 days apart like this and no dead bees or brood. After about 15 minutes the room can again be occupied.

Setting apivar strips in the hive entrance in such a way the bees run over them has been trialed, and doesn't work.

i guess there is a lot more bee contact, inside the brood nest.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I don't treat them. But you could take them outside and run some OAV (oxalic acid vapor) in.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF