Taranov split modified

Okay. Will this work?
    I want to take a hive with queen cells and give them another queen.
    Long story short, they are having a hard time requeening.
    I've got a shot at one more queen from my club.
    I want to take the club queen and some brood from another hive and put her in a nuc to get her established.
    I will put her in a push in cage to do this.
    Once she is established I will reverse the nuc she is in with the queen cell nuc, build a ramp that leads into the club queen nuc and shake all the bees from the queen cell nuc onto it.
    I'm thinking this will cause the entire population of queen cell nuc to join the club queen through the front of the established club queen hive, both nurse bees and foragers because the foragers will go back to their original position since the hives have been reversed. The nurse bees will go in because that's what they would do in a Taranov split anyway.

My question is, will the foragers eventually accept my queen (still in the push in cage) ? Will they be really angry and take it out on the population that is with my caged club queen?
    Should I just shake out the nurse bees onto the sheet without reversing the hives and then just shake out the foragers into the yard and let them find a hive to join?
    My thinking is at least I will save the nurse bees out of the queen cell hive.

I'm just thinking the queen cell hive is just running out of time since it's late July and I'd like to use the last queen I get without introducing her into the very hard to queen hive.
    Hope this has been followable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Taranov split modified

Well, I can't follow exactly what you're doing - but that's only because it's early morning over here and I'm in a rush, having a very demanding day ahead of me - but - this is what I'd do in those circumstances (as I understand them).

Install the new queen in a box at a new location with just the nurse bees. Leave a box with some comb and some brood at the old location, to where - as you say - the foragers will return.

Once the queen has been fully accepted, move that box to within (say) 18" or two feet of the old location. Then, on a nice day, remove 'the forager's box', so that the returning foragers will have lost their home. They will then beg entrance to the queenright hive some 18-24" away, but will wish to be accepted into someone's else's hive and so will be 'on their best behaviour', so to speak.
    After a day or two, finally incorporate the frames from the queenless box, after checking for and culling any emergency queen cells which may have been started.

Well - it's a plan.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

You are getting a mated queen from your club?
    You have been adding brood frames from another hive to your nuc ? (where the QCs came from)

What is the short version of requeen failure?

Yes, start the nuc.

Easier ways to join a queen right hive with queenless.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Is this your LW hive?
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

I have added brood twice. Ive given them 2 mated purchased queens. They have been building cells since before June.

Not laying worker, but drone laying queen.
    I found her after weeks of being in there along with no capped brood and yet more queen cells. I killed her and introduced yet another purchased queen. Went in to check 2nd mated queen (released) after having torn down cells (before the last queen intro) and found more peanuts I guess I missed (?). Maybe they killed her too and found a way to make emergency cells in two days...
    Now waiting again for eggs etc. in case I missed seeing the released queen.
    I will not put another queen in this box as straight up intro

Thank you for your plan. There is no brood that I can see, no capped brood. Will this plan work without it? Will I have to pull two framesof brood to make it work?
    Last edited by little lion; 07-21-2019 at 01:01 PM.

will this work if I have no brood in the old hive. if so, I will have to pull two frames out of my strong hive instead of one.
    thanks a lot for replying, this really looks like a plan.