Paramoth: kills or only deters moths?

Question Paramoth: kills or only deters moths?

I'm having issues with moths on my old frames (I keep in the house) -- I washed/scraped them (all have plastic foundation) in fall, and have kept them in the air inside (not in the usual plastic containers I have). Now I'm seeing maggot trails and cocoons on the foundations, and lots of the miserable tiny black eggs. I've soaped/scraped them yet again, and even tossed vinegar on the frames (in hopes the acid might destroy the eggs; unlikely, but maybe worth a try).

So .... if I place the frames in plastic containers --sealed -- and put Paramoth in them, will that kill moths/eggs/maggots, or does it serve only to deter the adults? I mos' def don't wanna ever put a "contaminated" frame back into any hive.

Obliged for any info on this .....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Paramoth: kills or only deters moths?

I believe it kills as well. Not sure if the recommended dose would stop an infestation though. This stuff smells horrible. storage plastic containers are not air tight and this smell will make you sick. i use in winter. stack the supers with a piece of paper between them and the dose of paramoth on the paper. it evaporates before spring.
    Terrence

Those uh, little black eggs, thats larva poop. I really don't know if para moth kills or is a deterrent. BT kills when it is ingested so if your frames are already infested, that would be the way to go, IMO.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by mlanden View Post
    I'm having issues with moths on my old frames (I keep in the house) -- I washed/scraped them (all have plastic foundation) in fall, and have kept them in the air inside (not in the usual plastic containers I have). Now I'm seeing maggot trails and cocoons on the foundations, and lots of the miserable tiny black eggs. I've soaped/scraped them yet again, and even tossed vinegar on the frames (in hopes the acid might destroy the eggs; unlikely, but maybe worth a try).

So .... if I place the frames in plastic containers --sealed -- and put Paramoth in them, will that kill moths/eggs/maggots, or does it serve only to deter the adults? I mos' def don't wanna ever put a "contaminated" frame back into any hive.

Obliged for any info on this .....
    Do you freeze them before storing? If not, you are storing the frames with viable moth eggs. Freeze for 3 days and then store in plastic. Using moth crystals is prohibited if you want to obtain the Certified Naturally Grown certification.

I am not sold on it working at all. A couple of years ago I used a bunch of it on a small stack of boxes. When I took a look at it a few weeks later, there was larvae crawling around in the crystals. I bought some Bt-k and it worked like a charm. I will never go back to Paramoth. Since the stack was well sealed and inside a plastic bag, I believe it is a deterrent, but does not kill. The larvae in my stack must have been there as egg before I sealed it up. I doubt they could have gotten inside after I wrapped it up.

Dudelt is right Bt-k works like a charm just like Bt-a does.JW is right also.Those little black droppings are not eggs they are poop!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    Dudelt is right Bt-k works like a charm just like Bt-a does.JW is right also.Those little black droppings are not eggs they are poop!!!
    Gross! The "eggs" make the little monsters even more unappealing to me.

I have some Bt-k. Might be time to use it!

Thx, all, for the data!

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    Do you freeze them before storing? If not, you are storing the frames with viable moth eggs. Freeze for 3 days and then store in plastic. Using moth crystals is prohibited if you want to obtain the Certified Naturally Grown certification.
    I do freeze - but for 2-4 weeks! As some old-timers have told me, over and over, cold doesn't seem to bother moth eggs at all. May kill the adults, but .... it's a chicken-egg thing, I guess.

I looked up how moth balls work and it is stated that they kill but do not deter. Since the products and the vermin are similar, I would surmise that paramoth works the same way. It does state that the container MUST be sealed because the fumes are what kills, not the solid product itself.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I looked up how moth balls work and it is stated that they kill but do not deter. Since the products and the vermin are similar, I would surmise that paramoth works the same way.
    Never use moth balls. Paramoth (p-dichlorbenzene) kills moths, beetles, etc. I use the enoz cystals purchased at walmart. 1lb bag treats 50 cubic ft equivalent to about 13.5 grams /deep and 10g/medium. I put a paper plate at the top of a stack with weighed out crystals for size of stack. A stack of 8 deeps or 12 mediums is 108 grams. I put a cover on the top but no further sealing.

2 key things to know about paramoth. The room temp needs to be above 65f so the crystals can sublimate into a gas and the gas is heavier than air so it will sink to the bottom. ie why i put crystals at top of stack and put boxes in warm room. Ideally 75-80F

I use paramoth over bt because to spray 500 combs takes a while. Paramoth is simple and easy. I apply it after my last large harvest which occurs in July and then again in September when i pull any remaining boxes. Once freezing temps hit in November you can safely open up the stacks to let them air out. Smell is gone by spring and doesn't seem to effect the bees at all.

Burns, I was not suggesting anyone should use moth balls but it is a good clarification to those who might be thinking about it. Also, thank you for the information on the required temperatures. In this area when moths start to become a problem, the temperatures are fairly cool and may max out at 65 degrees on most days. That may explain why it has not worked for me in the past.

I just lost 60 frames of comb. Had Paramoth on top of every other box in a 6 box stack. Currently letting the neighborhood bees clean them up. For the past 3 days there have been hundreds of bees working OT to clean up the mess. Since we're just entering the dearth I'm sure they are lov'in it.

BT might be a PITA, but I'll be giving that a try this go round.

Paramoth has not worked for me either.