Drones being attacked/killed

Default Drones being attacked/killed

I saw about 11 drones lying in front and around my hive (did not see any dead worker bees). I sat and watched the hive for a bit and saw that any drone coming in and out of the hive was attacked and/or killed. Did not notice any fighting between other bees. Is there an explanation for this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Drones being attacked/killed

The bees are no longer bringing in a surplus and are preparing for winter. The first act is killing off the no longer needed drone population. Happens every year and tells you it is time to treat for mites and start feeding to make sure the bees are at the weight required to make the winter in your location. You get that info from a local.

When the hive is stressed etc. Typically when in dearth they will throw out the drones and not want them to enter the hive. Only the strongest most well off hives will produce and tolerate drones.....they will make more, make them earliest and tolerate them the longest.

I just saw this video by Kim Flottum that explains this behavior, if you'd like: https://youtu.be/R_rH9ZEh_-Q