New EAS Master Beekeeper - Nancy - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New EAS Master Beekeeper - Nancy

Congrats thank you for all your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Actually, I'm surprised to learn that Nancy just completed this. She has been a real source of knowledge for me and so many others that I've always considered her a Master. Congratulations on the formal recognition Nancy!

You guys are so sweet! I really appreciate your kind words.

I couldn't have done it without BeeSource, either. And I mean that quite literally: the questions and answers here were my first teachers; in my first year I read all of the archived threads. And later on, when I found I had something to add, doing so taught me a very useful-for-the-exam skill.

Three-quarters of the grade on the oral test for the certificate (one of four required tests) was based on answering on-the-fly questions "posed" by beekeepers seeking help with bee-problems. Years of answering queries here was excellent training. But, anybody who has read my long-form answers will see the pitfall for me. There was a three-minute time limit on each answer, which naturally was a challenge for me. Somehow I was able to winnow my answers down enough to meet it.

Part of the field exam requires identifying and describing the uses of various pieces of equipment. Among the possibilities was a Snelgrove board. When I spied it on ground, I figured I was good. And since I was the last testing candidate of the day, I thought the examiners would have to send out for supper before I was done explaining it in my usual detail. Unfortunately there was a last minute change-of-testing-protocol and I was handed a Cloake board instead. Oh, shoot! I knew what it was, I knew what it was used for etc., but I have never actually used it. But years of reading here, had provided me with enough information about it to meet the requirements well-enough to only lose a single point. Whew, and thank you to all the other BeeSource writers who have taken pains to describe their own use of it.

Prepping for the exam was a useful and stimulating challenge - pushing me into studying things I wouldn't otherwise have been interested in looking into. The whole testing thing was a bit stressful, but I was there with the Betterbee crew to encourage me when things looked bleak. But overall, it was great. At the awards banquet, we were asked for a one-word (!) description of it, and I surprised myself by answering: It was so much fun! And that's true - I had a ball.

If you've been thinking of taking the exam, my advice would be: try it, it was well worth it! And let me know if you'd like some study-area hints. I can recommend some good resources.

Of course one of the main EAS highlights for me, was getting to meet some BeeSource members in person, at long last. Anybody going to Apimondia in Montreal in September? Let's plan a meet-up.

Nancy

Congratulations! I am starting the Master Beekeeping program early next year. I'm excited to read about your success!

Thumbs Up Re: New EAS Master Beekeeper - Nancy

Well done Nancy!
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Congratulations!

Nancy, that is a wonderful accomplishment; I expect you to be doing a talk at the next SABA
    Seminar! Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Congratulations, Nancy! I tell you every day how much you rock, so this is just reiterating it!

Thank you for all your help in my first year of beekeeping, and for helping me feel comfortable working hives!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Everyone, please join me in congratulating Enjambres (Nancy)as she passed the EAS Master Beekeeping Exam and is now a member of an elite group.
    Nancy regularly posts here on BS and her posts are clear, concise and to the point.
    Well done Nancy!!
    Congratulations on a job well done!

A well-deserved honor. Well done, Nancy. Thank you for the time you invest and the experience you share here so freely on Beesource.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12