New one for me... thoughts?

Default New one for me... thoughts?

20190718_111757.jpg

So, never dealt with an open comb hive before, we hit 0 F regularly in the winter, here at 6900 ft. so they just don't exist Good temperament, so I know they aren't AHB newly arrived from the south.

My concern is this is an 140yr old Adobe, with a pine tree raftered roof with unknown insulation...
    I won't know until I cut and remove the open comb, if there is a crack in the stucco (you can see the newer grey repair butting the wood) that would let them get in.
    This 'eyebrow' over the window was their way of letting water drain off the flat roof, so it butts in at 90 deg to the tree rafters.
    Note **I couldn't gain access into the home, it's barricaded shut, I know a stethoscope and some knocking on the ceiling would have answered about everything.

I keep coming back to: why would they build out comb outside if the roof void is full? they should have just swarmed. Is this just a swarm that found no were to go?
    Last edited by Outdoor N8; 07-18-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: why did it rotate the photo? how do I correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New one for me... thoughts?

That is a nice sized swarm to cut out. My guess is that there is no suitable cavity nearby. Get em in a hive and have fun with your new bees. Chances are good that what you see is the whole shebang. Probably a good idea to contact the owners first but I am sure they would appreciate you removing the bees even if they didn't know about it. He he he.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor N8 View Post
    I keep coming back to: why would they build out comb outside if the roof void is full? they should have just swarmed. Is this just a swarm that found no were to go?
    Agree, with you & JWPalmer, it is unlikely there is an open cavity next to them, or they would be in it
    Check this one out, although rare in CO, I have been coming across at least one a year for the last couple.0A18F1BD-CF91-47D9-9FAA-9FC2E1CDFF74.jpg
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Only one way to find out.....
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Going back to revisit it. I am going to flex the combs apart and look for capped brood... if the queen is laying out there then there probably is no in there, eh?!

Oldtimer, there is only one way... and I am not afraid of the deep end.. here hold my beer!

Ended up with 8 frames of capped and open brood and NO stings __ I think I'm going to like this queen..
    IMG_20190728_173357.jpg

Natural comb is so beautiful!
    20190719_155903.jpg

Excellent, and the bees will probably thank you later.