need a hand from those who have a maxant bottling tank

Default need a hand from those who have a maxant bottling tank

Hi team. I have a 16gallon maxant bottling tank i picked up used from an estate sale and its in working condition except that it has the bolt missing that is removed to drain the water out of it.

Can someone who owns one of these tanks let me know what size bolt i need to get to replace this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: need a hand from those who have a maxant bottling tank

It is not a bolt, it is a pipe plug. Measure across the hole, if it is just over 1/2", it is a 3/8" plug. If it is right at 3/4", it is a 1/2" plug. You can get these in brass at your local big box hardware store, or you can go to a pipe supply house and get one in stainless steel which is probably what came stock. Pick up some teflon tape to wrap the threads while you are there.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    It is not a bolt, it is a pipe plug. Measure across the hole, if it is just over 1/2", it is a 3/8" plug. If it is right at 3/4", it is a 1/2" plug. You can get these in brass at your local big box hardware store, or you can go to a pipe supply house and get one in stainless steel which is probably what came stock. Pick up some teflon tape to wrap the threads while you are there.
    mate thats perfect thanks so much!

i tried a 3/8 one today and its too large for the hole on the bottling tank. whats the next size down?

Next size down is 1/4". The picture Maxant provided did not actually show the plug but did call it out as a plug in the list of included items.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

thanks ill take a look tomorrow if i can get one

Call Maxant; they may send you one.

i stopped at big box store and grabbed a brass 1/4 inch pipe plug which fit perfectly.
    Thanks guys

Perfect! Fill it up and let us know that the heating element still works. Then go bottle some honey.

Perfect! Fill it up and let us know that the heating element still works. Then go bottle some honey.
    yup i fired it up yesterday and it works great

Was just doing a test run. Due to work commitments i cant extract until this coming Friday afternoon so i will do the extracting and bottling next weekend.

I like to set them up with a short pipe setup and a valve. So if I need to drain it for any raise I can add a water supple line and drain.

i like that idea actually mate thanks!

Maxant has been more than helpful with me. They might not always have accurate records on the really old stuff though (yes, I keep an eye out for bargains).
    46.91 N