Is capped sugar syrup useful to a hive?

Default Is capped sugar syrup useful to a hive?

For those that feed; when there is some back filling, is the sugar syrup beneficial to a hive for getting through winter? Yes, I know that true honey would be superior, but I hate to waste capped frames. Letís say there is a dearth, no feeding going on, would they clean those capped frames of sugar syrup? Iím having a hard time finding answers to this....

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is capped sugar syrup useful to a hive?

If it wasn't for capped sugar syrup I wouldn't be able to keep bees in this locality.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyBee View Post
    For those that feed; when there is some back filling, is the sugar syrup beneficial to a hive for getting through winter? Yes, I know that true honey would be superior, but I hate to waste capped frames. Letís say there is a dearth, no feeding going on, would they clean those capped frames of sugar syrup? Iím having a hard time finding answers to this....
    Why, of course.
    As for the bees - it is just honey.
    Use it as such (for the bee feeding - not for yourself).
    Supplementing growing nucs is one good usage.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

In certain circumstances, it could be the difference between life and death for a hive. Sure, honey is probably better. But sugar is better than starvation.

In fact, in some instances sugar syrup is superior to natural honey - this is specifically for wintering.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Little John, thanks for your comment - I think that that says it all.
    psm & Greg, thanks for your confirmation and comments.

I too would agree.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks for some clearing up. I was getting the impression in some literature that it was a bad thing.

I usually save any dearth capped sugar syrup for later. Usually I can get enough goldenrod for the bees and a little for the family. But not every year is the same. Even on a year I don't pull honey there isn't enough, so I put a super of primarily capped sugar syrup above them...

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyBee View Post
    Thanks for some clearing up. I was getting the impression in some literature that it was a bad thing.
    Oh this literature.....

So, the sugar syrup falls somewhere in the range between the best honeys for wintering (clovers, for example) and worst honeys for wintering (rape, sunflower; the late honey dew honey is probably the worst and basically toxic to the bees).
    The worst wintering honey is compatible to death of starvation (it will also kill just not as cleanly as absence of food).
    Obviously, sugar beats the worst possible choices by far.

Quote Originally Posted by notaclue View Post
    I usually save any dearth capped sugar syrup for later. Usually I can get enough goldenrod for the bees and a little for the family. But not every year is the same. Even on a year I don't pull honey there isn't enough, so I put a super of primarily capped sugar syrup above them...
    When you say you save it, do you put the frames in the freezer or just store in a box somewhere?

I usually keep it in a plastic bag in a shed until I need it. My wife doesn't mind my keeping honey supers in the deep freeze for a week before I pull it to extract...but whoaaa to me it there is sugar syrup in there until I need it. hahaha. But I do freeze the syrup for a week and make sure the bags are TIGHTLY tied. This kills any unwanted occupants. I bring them up to room temperature for a day before putting them in the shed. They seem to survive alright until I need them.