How to not care for bees:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to not care for bees:

Amazing the abuse a hive can take, but if he does not do something about what he sees at 13.12, he will not have bees much longer.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

wow, just wow. One of the more creative ways to use a hot knife at the end.

I suffered through this just to see how someone could not have a clue as to how to use a hot knife, thanks Alex. I truly feel sorry for his bees. Starting with its 45 outside, lets rip open the hive and steal the tiny bit of honey, mostly uncapped, the girls managed to put away. Hey, its October in Michigan, they don't need much. Then the smoker was a regular mini inferno, no problem. Close the lid and scald them with a crap load of super hot smoke. He even comments on how much they are buzzing. The list of really bad beekeeping mistakes goes on. I was cheering for the bees when he started getting stung. On a more serious note, I do hope he has learned a few things since this video and will not be repeating these mistakes.

OT, I went back and looked at 13:12. Although I am on a cell phone, those look like sunken and perforated cappings in the brood nest to me. Is that what you saw?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

How many things you see them doing correctly in the video? It likes finding waldo

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    OT, I went back and looked at 13:12. Although I am on a cell phone, those look like sunken and perforated cappings in the brood nest to me. Is that what you saw?
    Yes. That is PMS in the brood caused by varroa and it is a severe infection, probably get a better view of the whole thing on a computer screen. You can also see sick looking adult bees with deformed wings walking around. The guy discusses the brood but was totally unaware of the issue, however the hive as pictured is right on the tipping point of a rapid decline, and death. For all the sick and 1/2 chewed larvae that can be seen, there will also be a lot of sick or dying larvae under normal looking caps, a lot of that brood will not even hatch, and of the ones that do hatch some of them will only live a few days. The varroa mites then have to cram in increasing numbers onto the decreasing amount of alive larvae, making it unlikely the hive would have survived much longer after this video was made.

To attempt to verify this I looked at the guys channel, there's a lot of videos there. He has this video and has posted a number of other videos of the hive at time intervals through 2018, then suddenly, no more bee videos.

The guy certainly sounds keen and loves his bees, just, needs a bit more education, sad to see this. Hope he figures out what the issue was and does better next time around if he tries again.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I don’t see anything in this guy’s videos that indicates to me that he loves his bees. He treats them as if they were adversaries standing between him and “his honey.”

This video genuinely shocked me.

What really shocked me - all that money spent on whatever.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Thing that struck me was that he said he started the hive in may, but his gloves looked brand new, smoker didn't really look used. Betting it was about the first time he'd pulled a frame. Only other time he'd had the top off was to add the flow box.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    I always have an idea what I shouldn't have done after the fact.

I thought about suggesting he was giving the bees what I call "the white glove treatment". Total newb. We all start somewhere similar, but most do not take video of our ineptitude. Can't even begin to count how many bees he crushed sliding the frames back and forth. I got the feeling too that the bees were interfering with him collecting "his" honey. Bet it worked out to about $100 a jar as there was very little to collect. Not even one fully capped frame in the whole hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    What really shocked me - all that money spent on whatever.
    i liked the, fire up the extractor, for 1 frame. why have a flow hive and an extractor? seems one or the other..
    At 45 degrees I do not open the brood next, so that was interesting. Also in the "unlikely" event he squished the queen there is no way to replace in October

Before I criticize, I am so thankful that I did not post any videos of myself when I first started beekeeping.

He would learn a great deal from watching an experienced beekeeper use a hive tool. I just kept cringing as he went down both sides of frame ears popping them loose like he had a crow bar pulling up floor planks. Also, either learn how to use that tool to remove a frame, or get a J-hook. Anything other than mauling each frame until you can get a finger under it. Then, when putting the frames back in, listening to the ears thump on the rabbits as he was dropping the frames back down into the box was awful. Nothing pisses off my bees more than when I accidentally jar the frame as I am replacing it.

But I was a self-taught beekeeper too. I am sure I committed much greater sins in my beekeeping past.

Hope he eats all of his "honey" before it ferments.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    Before I criticize, I am so thankful that I did not post any videos of myself when I first started beekeeping.

He would learn a great deal from watching an experienced beekeeper use a hive tool.

psm1212 I am not sure what the drive is to be on the camera and online sharing it. I am perhaps to old to understand the need for the voyeurism or what ever drives this current need to be seen doing by the world. This would be my somewhat exact fear to be so poor at doing something I look bad doing it in from on 1000s I have been asked by mentees for pics and videos and I almost always decline. To Me this is odd behavior, "look at me I am bee keeping" I just do not get it. And yes there was a fair amount of uncapped honey, it will be good for a while. Somewhat sad when you do not know what you do not know.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    psm1212 I am not sure what the drive is to be on the camera and online sharing it...........GG
    I can understand this somewhat - say, I want an alternative way to make living OR earn supplemental income.
    One way is to have your own "Youtube channel" now days.

However,
    1)you have to be good enough at something to show off your skills OR somehow have interesting material to publish (ideally - unique) and
    2)be able to supply the good enough contents routinely for long time (talking years) so people keep coming back for more.

Other than that, putting up your dirty laundry for the World to see - is childish or worse.

As for me - I am not ready to have my own Youtube channel (or even my own blog).
    Unsure if ever will be.
    It is also real work and requires time and dedication and some knack for it.
    Else - don't even bother and waste people's time.

Hence, just posting my janky ideas anonymously on the BS.
    Yes, I do mean "janky" (learning from the kids anymore - there is much to catch up).
    Last edited by GregV; 07-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

No I hope it all spoiled on him.

Wow. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Grey Goose, I agree completely. I do not understand the need for everyone to put themselves out there, especially on youtube when they are a total newbie telling others how to do something. That said, I am extremely grateful to people who know what they are doing sharing their knowledge with the world for free. Besides beekeeping,I have used youtube to fix appliances, cars, lawnmowers, etc. Unfortunately, new beekeepers learn a lot of bad habits and bad info there as we have all experienced here on the forum. J

To be honest I watched countless hours (easily 100+) of youtube videos too get a better understanding of what I was getting myself into and if I still wanted to do this. I still watch reputable people to this day to keep learning. This guy however just doesn't care about the bees and was only looking to make videos in hope of making some cash.

Powerful advertising for the flow hive...doesn't disturb the bees at all. And such ease of the extraction process. Painfully slow.

I like how he has them inside with an outside cover that he opens or closes but it's pretty much open to the garage anyway. I'd pay to be there the day the bees think it's warm enough to take a dump, and he still has the cover closed.

I may not be the best beekeeper but I certainly try my best and try to retain information from lectures and books... I hope this fella has since read a book about bees or joined a beekeeping club. 🤯

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast