Brood Pattern: Spotty vs. Hygienic - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Brood Pattern: Spotty vs. Hygienic

I think comparing brood laying also depends on the foundation. Was it prepackaged foundation manufactured only for honey or worker cell production or free drawn wax which will always show drone cell production as well as worker bees.
    As for the combo plastic frame, plastic foundation being sold that had to be my worst investment ever. Even a year or two later that foundation is full of tunnels, burr foundation and simply a nightmare to look at.
    Seeing a friends drawn comb in a supersized Russian box simply had me in awe. Straight and true and a beautiful combination of drawn brood cells - AS the hive wants it to develop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by herb View Post
    Seeing a friends drawn comb in a supersized Russian box simply had me in awe. Straight and true and a beautiful combination of drawn brood cells - AS the hive wants it to develop.
    Was that Russian comb foundationless? My Caucasians seem to really prefer drawing their own comb on a foundation free frame vs. Acorn 1 piece or wooden frames with plastic foundation.

I learned from my favorite beekeeper (Mike Palmer) that you never know whether it's hygienic behavior or a bad laying pattern when you're looking at capped brood. The best way is to look at frames of OPEN brood. Then you'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bix View Post
    I learned from my favorite beekeeper (Mike Palmer) that you never know whether it's hygienic behavior or a bad laying pattern when you're looking at capped brood. The best way is to look at frames of OPEN brood. Then you'll know for sure.
    Yes, Mr. Palmer explains that in the video I linked. Oldest larvae in the brood pattern center, then radiating younger & younger towards the outer cells on the frame, ending in eggs in the outermost cells of the brood pattern. After I saw that video, I cracked into the Survivor colony again, knowing what to look for, and the open brood pattern is just like that...yay!!!

I get 25 lbs bags of cane sugar at Walmart for $8.32 a bag, I have to refill the feeders every 3 days, those rapid feeders empty out in 2 days or less.The tank top feeders last a bit longer. They are still drawing comb like mad though.

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingBeek View Post
    Caucasians: these first 2 pics is a foundation less frame I gave them 2 weeks ago, 2nd 2 pics are a foundation less frame they’ve worked on for 4 weeks.
    So until the frames are all the way built out and have enough bees to cover the Whole Frame they cannot fill it wall to wall with brood.
    Here the brood nest is like 6-8 inches and anything out side of that is not even going to be used for honey storage. when you get to 2 deeps of bees then the center frames can be looked at for the pattern. In General new queens cannot be judged until they spin up a bit with at least 1 deep of bees. Give them time.

Quote Originally Posted by BumblingBeek View Post
    I have a question about brood pattern: What are the determining factors to differentiate a 'Spotty Brood Pattern' from normal, Hygienic behavior?
    I find this work fascinating and quite telling. https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/10/1/12/htm
    Brood pattern isn't simply the fault of the queen as much as we've read and been taught to the contrary. There are factors at play such as age of comb, environmental factors and so on, decisions bees make about where they choose to place pollen and nectar which also affect spotty brood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tialidens View Post
    I find this work fascinating and quite telling. https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/10/1/12/htm
    Brood pattern isn't simply the fault of the queen as much as we've read and been taught to the contrary. There are factors at play such as age of comb, environmental factors and so on, decisions bees make about where they choose to place pollen and nectar which also affect spotty brood.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tialidens View Post
    I really appreciate the article!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12