Preventing small hive beetle infestation in fresh extracted combs?

Default Preventing small hive beetle infestation in fresh extracted combs?

I expect to have many boxes full of freshly extracted combs next weekend. I don't want to store the boxes & combs with moth flakes until they get back on the hives for refilling (boxes to be added as needed) over the next 6-8 weeks.

If I store the boxes of comb on their ends, in the open air & sunshine, will that work well to prevent small hive beetle infestation like it does with wax moths?

I know bees & wasps will cleanup the honey residue from the comb & that's OK with me, but there is some pollen scattered in the cells, which is extra incentive for the beetles & moths to get on the stored combs.

I'll have too many boxes to put back on their hives all at one time, which would result in too much empty space for the bees to patrol to keep pests away.

I don't have freezer space, and I'm trying to avoid buying one just to store the combs until needed...although that would probably be ideal.

Storing the combs under water would work too, but that would present a whole new set of problems in itself.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Preventing small hive beetle infestation in fresh extracted combs?

I've never had a problem with hive beetles getting into extracted frames the bees have cleaned up. Your main concern will be wax moths if there is some pollen remaining in the cells.
    For storage you could spray the frames with B T Aizawai and that eliminates your issues with wax moths. After spraying they can be stored and go right back on the hives at any time with no ill effect on the bees. No need to air out the boxes as required with moth flakes.
    To everything there is a season....

Default Re: Preventing small hive beetle infestation in fresh extracted combs?

Thanks Mike! I did have an issue last year at this time where beetle larvae took hold on one frame 4 days after extraction, while sitting outside & not on the hive.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.