Using "dirty' wax foundations to wax new plastic foundations?

Default Using "dirty' wax foundations to wax new plastic foundations?

Hi there,

I've melted down and processed old wax foundations to use to wax our new plastic foundations. I melted it down in water, scraping the floating wax off the top, and poured it through cheese cloth. I've repeated this process a fair amount of times. It's still quite dark.

I can't find too much, if any, information on if it's a super no no to use this wax to wax our new plastic foundations.

Any suggestions, or does anyone have experience with using very dark wax on foundations?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Using "dirty' wax foundations to wax new plastic foundations?

Properly cleaned beeswax is varying shades of yellow, from the almost creamy color of capping wax, to the orangey yellow of old brood comb. If yours has turned a brownish tan, you overheated it and there is no way to get it yellow again. However, If you used water every time, I doubt that is the problem. Truth is, to wax frames, the wax does not have to be very clean at all. I generally will do the first render to get rid of the cocoons and propolis, and then a second to get the small stuff to form a layer on the bottom. After that is scraped off, it goes into the crock pot for melting and painting on my starter strips or plastic foundation.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: Using "dirty' wax foundations to wax new plastic foundations?

Franklie,
    I did much the same thing this spring. I boiled down old dark comb in water as you have done, but didn't bother any more than running it thru a tight strainer, then cutting off any junk that settled on the bottom after it solidified. Used it to coat 100 ritecell mediums and the bees didn't file any complaints.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”