I need to catch up quickly on my knowledge and skills....

Default I need to catch up quickly on my knowledge and skills....

I jumped into bee keeping much faster than I should have and I need to get through the summer (youtube has been my guide along with another beekeeper in his second season) ... I'll be taking courses in the Fall.

My location: Ontario Canada
    My setup: I got a hive in the June... 1 brood box... it was healthy and I added a second brood box soon afterwards. This week I added a medium honey super... bees have moved up and are building it out.... My hive is strong/healthy and my brood boxes are loaded with honey...

My objective is only ever to have 1 hive... I want to keep this a small project... is this doable?
    Will the queen lay eggs indefinitely as space permits in my brood boxes forcing me to eventually to add a third brood box or possibly be forced to split the hive.? OR can Honey supers provide enough space ... ultimately I want to avoid a swarm... but also don't want to grow my hive ... I'm unclear of the management side of how this works.

When does the queen stop laying eggs if brood boxes are loaded with resources for Winter will the queen naturally stop laying eggs? If the workers have a life cycle of ~36 days... will enough die keeping my hive to a size that can live within my desired size setup? (over the winter I understand workers bees will survive much longer)

Appreciate the guidance... admittedly I should have used better judgement before hand.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I need to catch up quickly on my knowledge and skills....

Quote Originally Posted by dh20 View Post
    My objective is only ever to have 1 hive... I want to keep this a small project... is this doable?
    It's do-able, but not advisable. Two hives is generally considered the safe minimum (so that one can support the other if either should run into trouble), but an extra nuc (nucleus hive = baby hive) is also a good idea - to hold one extra queen for emergencies. Same principle as having a spare wheel for an automobile - you may never need it - but one day ...

I want to avoid a swarm... but also don't want to grow my hive ...
    Not everyone avoids swarming, but most do. There are procedures which can help. A growing colony is something none of us has any control over - it's what bees do.

When does the queen stop laying eggs if brood boxes are loaded with resources for Winter will the queen naturally stop laying eggs?
    Yes - in those temperate regions which have a winter.

If the workers have a life cycle of ~36 days... will enough die keeping my hive to a size that can live within my desired size setup? (over the winter I understand workers bees will survive much longer)
    No - under normal circumstances more bees are always raised than die. The whole idea is that the colony progressively enlarges to a size when roughly half of the bees swarm (with the old queen) to form a new colony in a new location, leaving the other half to continue life at the old location. Then the cycle repeats itself. That's a simplification and there are several other aspects to this - but that's the principle.. It's the bees' way of reproducing, and has been going on like this for millions of years.

BTW - welcome to the forum.
    I'll ask the mods to move this thread over to the 101 sub-forum ...
    'best
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    I'll ask the mods to move this thread over to the 101 sub-forum ...
    'best
    LJ

Done.

dh2o, please let us know where you are located.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Done.

dh2o, please let us know where you are located.
    Wow - that was quick - a Speed of Light job

BTW - he's in Ontario, Canada.

'best
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Skipped that part of the second paragraph.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Hey DH20, welcome. I’m in the same boat pretty much as you but here’s what I’ve learned. Try to stay on top of it. Weekly inspections to start to get familiar with the bees and how they’re doing. Build or buy a 2nd hive, nuc box and swarm trap “just in case”. I had a neighbour with one hive that surprise swarmed on him. Now he has 2 . Supers are your friend if they fill up the first brood chamber. I wanted a nice little hive to start and maybe get some honey and I started early June. My hive now has a deep honey super and a medium 2nd brood box and I’m still thinking about splitting. Nervous about doing it in July but if they keep making queen cells I’ll have to. Try to not overthink it. I’m terrible for that. Once you get into it, it’s easier than it looks but ultimately bees are gonna do what bees are gonna do. One quote I heard that I like: “bees do two things, make honey and multiply “. I think it was fatbeeman. Anyways, there’s many on here who can help you more than me, but you’re not alone. I think a lot of us started without knowing what we were getting into

I'd strongly consider Little Johns advice on at least 1 more hive, you'll have much better odds of surviving a calamity if you have another hive for quick resources.

Also imo, your statement, "My hive is strong/healthy and my brood boxes are loaded with honey..."

This is something I'd really keep an eye on, especially with one hive. Honey bound can be a quick recipe for a swarm.
    Last edited by Western; 07-14-2019 at 07:24 AM.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

[QUOTE=dh20;1741247]I jumped into bee keeping much faster than I should have and I need to get through the summer

I know the feeling about that jumping in the deep end. I caught a swarm on April 30, and another on May 12 of 2019. I knew I could not leave bees too long in a plastic tote box, so I had to go the next morning on both swarms and buy a new hive to put them in (I now know where to buy hives locally). one hive has two deep brood boxes and one hive has 1 deep brood box and two medium supers for brood, and each has one honey super on top of that.

I have never enjoyed anything so much in my life, well except my experience with Christ. The ladies are just so much fun to just watch, even when I am not breaking into their homes. My bees are feral bees that have lived in a tree in my near (very near) my home since I have lived here. I hope they keep on being treatment free. I do not intend to prevent them from swarming as I have them moved out of town and near quite a lot of woods. That being said I do hope to catch all the swarms that Issue to increase the size of the apiary.

Welcome aboard and ask all the questions that you have. someone on here will have ideas to help you through most of your issues.

Happy Home.