New split robbing?

Default New split robbing?

I made a couple 5 frame nuc splits yesterday with mated queens, looks like robbing going on, I presume the foragers flew back to original hives, not any guards, or not many at all. I'm going to the beach, I just shut them completely off, I'll be back in 4 days, they have a boardman feeder with water, a pollen patty, and a hive top feeder with syrup. sound like the right thing to do? here's the video of the split https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AX4vImcgKo&t=68s
    I've since learned that shiny black bees are robbers that have lost their hair, I see a few like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New split robbing?

Are you using SBB's? Closing off is fine as long as there is adequate ventilation. Supposed to be mid 90s tomorrow and high 90s on Sunday.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

yes, with screened inner cover as well

If you have a screened cover, leave a big gap between the cover and screen for good air flow, otherwise you'll come home to allot of dead bees. Been there done that, be careful in that kind of heat. use 8 mesh screen to close them off too.
    shiny bald bees are just old bees not just robbers.
    DavidZ

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Natural View Post
    If you have a screened cover, leave a big gap between the cover and screen for good air flow, otherwise you'll come home to allot of dead bees. Been there done that, be careful in that kind of heat. use 8 mesh screen to close them off too.
    shiny bald bees are just old bees not just robbers.
    the cover has raised edges on two sides, it has #8 wire on the front.

I got back and opened them up, the queen candy hadn't been touched, I let them out, all the honey was intact. I guess I shut it up in time. video in my vlog

Suprised the candy had not been eaten and the queen released, but hey, no robbing and the splits are still alive. Works for me.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.