The Honor Stand

Thread: The Honor Stand

Default The Honor Stand

Good mornin’! I thought y’all might be interested in this. A few years ago, I was brainstorming on how I could better sell my honey. Although I would probably enjoy it, I really wasn’t interested in spending half my Saturday at the farmer’s market. I started researching the honor stand. I remember a farmer selling vegetables down the road from an honor stand when I was a kid, and I thought I’d give it a try. It cost about $150 and a weekend to build and paint, and my wife does the decorating.

Anyway, for those thinking about building an honor stand, it is a lot of fun. We sell out very quickly every year. The kids love to watch folks come to the stand, and a lot of times, they will stand by the stand as cars go by and “advertise”.

Made a video of the extraction process that I thought y’all may like to see. We are setting the stand up toward the end of the video if you’re interested.

Ryan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aeHb3Ghnoak

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: The Honor Stand

You are doing an excellent job editing your vids. With that smile i'm not sure why your better half isn't on tv. Kid definitly is destined for it lol.

I would like to see you keep your potential audience in mind. If you tried that honey robbing on my hives you'd get lit up. Some newbee could watch that and go try that and get seriously hurt with only a veil on. Just saying add a comment that your's are very calm and bees normally will sting when robbed out.
    Terrence

Thank you for the compliment Terrence. Surprisingly, I enjoy the editing process. I've been doing it for about a month, so I'm still trying to figure out the best ways to do it. I don't know how some of those bigger Youtube channels do it, multiple camera angles, good lighting, etc, etc. I'm just using the camera on my wife's phone and a cheap tripod.

I'll pass on the compliment to my wife...one of the reasons I married her. LOL

Good point about the warning - I will do that now. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonhoneyfarms View Post
    Thank you for the compliment Terrence. Surprisingly, I enjoy the editing process. I've been doing it for about a month, so I'm still trying to figure out the best ways to do it. I don't know how some of those bigger Youtube channels do it, multiple camera angles, good lighting, etc, etc. I'm just using the camera on my wife's phone and a cheap tripod.

I'll pass on the compliment to my wife...one of the reasons I married her. LOL

Good point about the warning - I will do that now. Thanks for the advice.
    That's their full time job and usually have a dedicated person doing it for them. I hate it. I have hundreds of hours of video of a garage build and just can't bring myself to edit and publish it. Perhaps a winter project. Peter McKinnon does amazing you tube stuff. Yea he's a pro but i like watching his process.
    Terrence

What a nice cheerful video, happy looking family . Good to see there are still places where people are honest enough to be able to make one of these work.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    What a nice cheerful video, happy looking family [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.beesource.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]. Good to see there are still places where people are honest enough to be able to make one of these work.
    Thanks. I’ve got some really good kids. No idea where they got it from LOL.

For the most part, folks around here are pretty honest. There’s always the outliers, hence the need for an 1100 lb money box. In the past 3 years, we’ve probably sold about 20 gallons of honey through the stand and only been short changed once - a girl came by and got the honey bottle for half price. No worries.

Nice video and it looks like you have a nice and convenient way to sell some honey. Good luck with it!

Great video, I sell a couple hundred pounds out of my honor box every year. Your is much nicer than mine, it's just a little free library repurposed into a stand and placed along my back fence line. It takes a while to get going every year, but once the word starts getting around the honey flies out of it. Your going to be shocked how well they work.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoosier View Post
    Nice video and it looks like you have a nice and convenient way to sell some honey. Good luck with it!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nhaupt2 View Post
    Great video, I sell a couple hundred pounds out of my honor box every year. Your is much nicer than mine, it's just a little free library repurposed into a stand and placed along my back fence line. It takes a while to get going every year, but once the word starts getting around the honey flies out of it. Your going to be shocked how well they work.
    Thank you! Yes, my stand sales seem to start slowly as well. I always wonder if we are selling it for too much, but then about 4 or 5 days after setting up, sales start to ramp up.

Honor stands are interesting. I really think that they stir up a feeling of trust in folks that might otherwise have been dishonest. Seems that when folks see that you make an effort to trust them, they magically become more trustworthy themselves. I don’t know, just my theory.