Hive smell

Thread: Hive smell

Default Hive smell

Anyone else love the smell of your hive?? I believe it is the wax I'm smelling but not really sure all I know is it smells great, also when you get a whiff of honey with the wax smell man it is intoxicating. My wife has smelt it same as my uncle and brothers they all love the smell.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive smell

Indeed, to many people the smell of a healthy hive is wonderful. I think it is the wax and honey, but maybe the bees themselves have a smell?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

There are therapies that involve inhailing the hive air. In some places, people pay to sleep on a cot that is built above a hive. The hive vents into the small room.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Are you serious???? I couldn't imagine.

Here is a link to the plans to build your very own bee bed.

https://horizontalhive.com/how-to-bu...ve-plans.shtml

All beekeepers are at least a little on the crazy side. Some are a little crazier than others. Seriously.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Check out the "therapy with" links at this site, interesting and fun claims...
    aerosols from the hive!
    dead bees

more products to sell!
    DavidZ

And I thought that just laying in bed with a bunch of bees was "out there". Wow. Bees for breakfast. Whoda thunk it?

Api-air is a real thing. Slovenian hives most popular for using it with but you can attach it to a Langstroth or topbar hive. I have one for my solid bottom topbar hive. The propolis is being vaporized in the hive since the temp is around 95 F. Brood pheromones also give off an odor. 13268170_10154189187853048_4091894369980685082_o.jpg

These are some other photos that folks in my group have sent me.
    12903594_1690913144514375_832192318_o.jpg

beehive-air-breathing-slovenia.jpg

Thanks for the added input Ruth. I was out in the bee yard today inhaling the aroma of a couple of healthy hives, right before I pulled splits from them. If somebody could put hive air in a can, they'd be a millionaire.