Queen Cage acceptance ???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Queen Cage acceptance ????

Quote Originally Posted by Andhors View Post
    That video didn’t tell why, or did I miss something?
    It is in the written instructions. Queen and attendants create a micro colony with it's own smell, according to OHB.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I will go in tomorrow and see what’s up. I’ll let everyone know. If they haven’t chewed through candy. Should I get rid of attendants and direct release her?

It took my bees 4 days to chew through the candy on the cage like you have, and I push a nail whole through it. They may be friends by now. I have release a lot of queens with attendants but it seems I have much better acceptance when she's by herself.

Went in today and the bees were still in the cage. Removed what was left of the candy got rid of the attendants. Let her out and they weren’t aggressive at all towards her. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Just curious, do you have drones flying in your area? Your VQ may be flying out hoping to meet some drones, and coming home "empty".

So you've introduced a fresh queen, I do not use candy hole queen cages. A push-in cage with no candy escape is the minimum. The push-in cage allows the queen to start laying eggs, bringing up her pheromone levels, causing acceptance. You got away with it, but it can be expensive to lose a queen or two if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
    Just curious, do you have drones flying in your area? Your VQ may be flying out hoping to meet some drones, and coming home "empty".

So you've introduced a fresh queen, I do not use candy hole queen cages. A push-in cage with no candy escape is the minimum. The push-in cage allows the queen to start laying eggs, bringing up her pheromone levels, causing acceptance. You got away with it, but it can be expensive to lose a queen or two if you don't.
    . Never thought of the lack of drones thing very good thought. But yes my other hives have lots of drones.

Funny I have a push in cage and never thought to use it. But I guess I got lucky this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12