Queen Cage acceptance ????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Queen Cage acceptance ????

Ok i have a hive i think is queen less. There was a emerged qc about 2 weeks ago and never could see the virgin and No eggs or larva still to this day. Gave them a frame of eggs and larva about a week ago and all they did was build 1 cup. No larva anything in it. Not really sure why they didn't build QC makes me wonder if they are queen less? Did the put the queen on top of the frames in her cage trick and bee's seemed not very interested. Was going to just release her but don't want to waste the $30. Below is the video let me know what you think. Queen less?

https://youtu.be/vxUolc1-wYM

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen Cage acceptance ????

If you gave them a frame of brood thet included eggs or very young larva, and they did not draw a supersedure cell around some of the young larva. They have a queen. she may not be laying yet. but she is there.

Quote Originally Posted by RTBBEE View Post
    If you gave them a frame of brood thet included eggs or very young larva, and they did not draw a supersedure cell around some of the young larva. They have a queen. she may not be laying yet. but she is there.
    . No they did make a supersedure cup. But it didn’t have anything in it.

A cup doesn’t mean anything. If they were queenless they woulda drawn many cells. You have a virgin queen or one that hasn’t started laying yet. I’d give it another week but if you already purchased the queen maybe wait a few days and make a split. If you have enough bees.

Ok I guess I better get her out of there ASAP. How long till they chew through the candy? Thought they would ball the cage if they had a queen

Went in and took the cage out. I had smushed it between 2 frames of comb and it somehow fell on the bottom board. Noticed bees all over the cage. One in particular was trying to stick her rear end aka stinger through the mesh. Guess that answers my question. I can’t make a split till tomorrow. How long will the queen live in her cage?

She will be fine give her water and some Honey. just for future Knowledge. When the bees make a supersedure cell they build it over an existing larva. Supersedure is to replace a failing queen, an emergency supersedure is to replace a lost queen. In either they May not have a queen to induce to lay in the cell so they Must make a queen from an existing larva. So a queen cell in a supersedure position with no larva in it is simply a practice or mock cell. This is good to know when assessing your queen situation.

You can also tell they are not queenless the hive noise wasn't loud.

Well this is why i come here. Yahtzee, eggs today in the hive mentioned. So what i did with the queen i bought didn't want to waste her so i had a colony that had a double brood chamber. Took one of the brood boxes, the one with no queen and moved it to it's own bottom board. Stuck the purchased queen in there. They seemed kind of aggressive towards her but this was just after i moved the box. Hopefully they will accept her. How long after you remove queen do they know??????

I would have waited a few hours before putting the caged queen in there. The bees generally know they are queenless in about 15 minutes. My guess is that they will come around once the other queen's pheromones fade.

Just for fun, take a good hive and place the top box temporarily onto another bottom board and then cover it to prevent robbing. Wait 15 minutes and see which box is louder. That is the one that has figured out their queen is missing. Works almost all the time. Takes longer if you use smoke.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I would have waited a few hours before putting the caged queen in there. The bees generally know they are queenless in about 15 minutes. My guess is that they will come around once the other queen's pheromones fade.

Just for fun, take a good hive and place the top box temporarily onto another bottom board and then cover it to prevent robbing. Wait 15 minutes and see which box is louder. That is the one that has figured out their queen is missing. Works almost all the time. Takes longer if you use smoke.
    . Ok didn’t know I should have waited. I didn’t direct release her. She is in a cage
    Last edited by Sickdog5; 07-12-2019 at 05:56 PM.

I imagine they will. Take a look tomorrow and see how they are acting towards her. I would make sure there is still plenty of candy in the hole. Not sure if the first hive ate much of it trying to get to her. If it is near gone, you can make a dough with honey and some powdered sugar to replace what is missing.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I imagine they will. Take a look tomorrow and see how they are acting towards her. I would make sure there is still plenty of candy in the hole. Not sure if the first hive ate much of it trying to get to her. If it is near gone, you can make a dough with honey and some powdered sugar to replace what is missing.
    . Yea I thought of that. They ate a lot of the candy when she was in the first hive. So I replaced what was ate with marshmallow

If there are attendants in the cage with her they may be reacting to them. When I introduce a queen to a new hive I release all the attendants and only put the queen in the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by billdean View Post
    If there are attendants in the cage with her they may be reacting to them. When I introduce a queen to a new hive I release all the attendants and only put the queen in the hive.
    . Yes there are attendants. Why would they react differently to attendants versus the queen?

The attendants are strange bees to the hive and are protecting their queen. They fight.

The attendants are strange bees to the hive and are protecting their queen. They fight.

Great stuff. Had no idea nor did any video or installation instructions say anything about removing attendants. Well I guess we’ll see what happens because I have to go to work tomorrow won’t be home for a couple days. So the attendants are in there with the queen in the hive so hopefully they all get along when they chew through the candy.

That video didn’t tell why, or did I miss something?

Print a push in cage for a high value queen.
    David Smolinski USDA hardiness zone 6b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast