Mouse in my hive

Default Mouse in my hive

Hello all, I lost all my bees and i went to harvest my honey and found a mouse and some babies in my hive. I feel all my honey is no good and it shouldn’t be eaten. To my surprise a local beekeeper is telling me there is nothing wrong with using it.
    I am a novice at beekeeping but can’t see how this can be right. What do you all think? It is a shame because there’s probably 20 plus pounds but i certainly can think this is safe. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Maybe it's just me but no way would I eat or serve honey to others that had been contaminated by mouse droppings and urine. If it has been in there long enough to have a litter it has been all over those frames. Not worth the risk IMHO. Use it for splits or winter feed.

Default Re: Mouse in my hive

I would scrap/discard it. It definitely is not worth getting stick when you have good evidence that your honey has been contaminated by mice.

I also think you should discard it completely (throw in trash, not feed to bees).
    Beekeeping 5 Years - 10 production hives and about 10 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

I probably would not eat it myself but I would feed it to the bees. I have noticed for years now in my cement floor dog kennel, the dogs urinate all over it, and the bees are there by the hundreds licking it up. Who knows what else they eat/drink.

We see urine, the bees see electrolytes. Perfectly safe to feed back to them. Probably safe for human consumption, but I'll pass.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    We see urine, the bees see electrolytes. Perfectly safe to feed back to them. Probably safe for human consumption, but I'll pass.
    urine is not the same as poop. Urine is relatively sterile, poop on the other hand is not.

Quote Originally Posted by onemean View Post
    I am a novice at beekeeping but can’t see how this can be right. What do you all think?
    Negative ghost rider! Go with your gut on this one! Not worth the risk!