Find the queen

Thread: Find the queen

Default Find the queen

I have a small project I would like to get going that may help new beekeepers (and some who's eyesight isn't what it used to be) to find their queens among all the commotion on a frame. I would like to start with 30-40 photos of unmarked queens on frames of brood. I can then put together a slide show and publish the link, so the photos scroll through with the object to find the queen in a specified time.
    If you have some pictures to share, please PM me for an email address, along with your name and home town for a credit.
    Many thanks
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Find the queen

Sounds like a fun little learning game. Would definitely help new beekeepers in locating "Her Majesty". Just for kicks, you might want to throw in a few pics where there is no queen.

Ok, so I have a little mean streak.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Just for kicks, you might want to throw in a few pics where there is no queen.
    I would definitely throw in one with two queens.

This is a good idea. This method is used to train lots of medical specialties, for instance, looking at different pictures of skin cancers until the eye picks them up without thought. There are apps and probably app platforms that do this.

It would be useful, but more useful would be video. A queen just moves different on the comb than the rest, which is a big help to spot it.

I’ve been having trouble recently and what I’ve found in the heat quite a few of mine aren’t on any frames but on the sides of the box

For myself it is the queens Movement that gives her away. She does not move like other bees do. I do not know as I even look at individual bees. More the overall frame to see this. I do not know that would show in a picture.