Shrinking population - what do I do? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Shrinking population - what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    This is a all I could find.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agp...e-products-act

Looks like you have to request the apiary inspection and shoulder any costs associated with it.
    Thank you! That's more than I've been able to find!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    I dont think we have any state inspectors or really any special requirements for selling bees in Colorado. If you are selling honey it either falls under the cottage industry laws (small operations, less than $10K/yr sales) or commercial food processing laws.

It may be worth reaching out to the Denver area bee club president/board. I think the norther Colorado (Ft Collins area) has a veterinarian in the club, and there was another one that has presented at a monthly meeting.

For what it is worth (it is to late for this year) I had good experiences with the bees I got from highland bees (boulder) and dakota bees (denver metro). I got a nuc from highland and a package from dakota and they seemed to do well except for my own mistakes (not paying enough attention to mites).
    Thank you so much! I saw that there was a vet listed on the CBSA website who is also member of the Mile Hive Denver club (which is the one I go to). My test kit didn't end up coming in the mail yesterday - hoping it comes today and then planning to reach out to her if it's positive. It may be too late per what other people have replied, but I figure it can't hurt to see what she says.

I will certainly check those suppliers out for next year too!

Thank you all for the responses and insight!

Just an update - I got the tests yesterday, and unfortunately they came up positive for EFB. Trying to do the tests was difficult because there was almost no brood anywhere anymore to test on! The bees remaining cover less than one side of one frame at this point. Even in that small population, I still can't find a queen. So, on top of the EFB, I believe they are queen less and maybe always have been, and I'm guessing that the sporadic eggs I have seen in the last couple weeks have been from laying workers. But in any case, I am glad to now have my answer and be able to move forward with cleanup.

Just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone for your answers and pointing me in the right direction! So appreciate the kindness and open sharing of information and ideas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12