Bees jumping to hands during inspection.

Default Bees jumping to hands during inspection.

Hello all,

I have been a beekeeper for about 6 years now, and this is something I've been meaning to ask for a while

When I'm doing inspections and reaching for the next frames, often times a half dozen or so bees in the hive will quickly jump to my hands.

They typically don't stay in my hands, but it's a little unnerving, and I usually smoke the hive to get them to settle down and stop doing it. I feel I may be "over smoking" the hive for something that is not a big deal.

Does this jumping behavior happen for the rest of you? What do you do about it? Should I just ignore it and stop smoking so much?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees jumping to hands during inspection.

I've always assumed it to be guard bees. I notice it most if I get in without smoking.

I have seen them do that to my hive tools when I start moving frames apart. It is usually when I have not smoked a hive/box and I think it is the guard bees. After I smoke a box they seem to settle down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ptuxbury View Post
    .......often times a half dozen or so bees in the hive will quickly jump to my hands.......Thanks.
    I got such jumpy bees.
    Initially smoke works.
    If I am still not done after 15-20 minutes, the smoke seems to work less and less.
    But the bees get annoyed more and more

Then I switch to a water sprayer and just spray them all down - works great.
    Keep in mind, bees can not jump - they fly.
    Wet them down pretty well - they will no longer "jump" - because they can not fly much when wet.

It is summer - wet them down and don't worry.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame experimentation.