Add medium brood box? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Add medium brood box?

Thanks once more. That's the split I was thinking of if there's more queen cells. There's a lot more room for them now so if they keep making queen cells I'll split. The way they're going both should be fine for building up before fall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Add medium brood box?

So I did an inspection this afternoon. Mostly to get the frame back in order and to check for queen cells. The new medium super I put on Monday is starting to be drawn out and they’re actually starting to store pollen up there now. They made a 1/4 medium frame worth of comb on the bottom of the deep frame I had there to lure them up so I cut it off and put it in an empty medium frame and back in super. Bottom brood box was full o’bees and I found the queen and she’s fine. And huge. Much bigger than the regular bees and very active so I’m taking that as a good sign. I found eggs and uncapped larvae. So far so good. Fair amount of drone comb and I found two empty queen cups. Also found 1 covered, small round queen cup. Definitely not a drone cell but fairly small also. There were a lot of bees and it was active so they got pissy a couple of times but overall fairly even. There may have been another cell but nothing I could say was a swarm or supercedure cell. As of now I’ve done nothing but get the frames back in order and verify the queen. Tons of capped brood. Honey super up top being worked on too. I may go in Sunday to see if there’s more queen cells or maybe they’ll tear them down now that they know to work the medium super. I’ll have my 2nd hive ready to go if I need to split. I think I’ll get my swarm trap box back and hand it in the yard in case they go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12