Drawing comb in super

Default Drawing comb in super

I caught 2 swarms this year and put them in a 10 frame deep. They built that out nicely but I added a medium super to the top and they started drawing some from the bottom. I am just using a starter strip. The comb was all off set. So I was thinking that they might do better if I put the supers on the bottom. Was that a good idea to get them to start from the top and build down. When they get a good start I will move it back on top. I am a first time beekeeper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Drawing comb in super

I've never seen them build from the bottom up....sounds like a mess in the making. I'd pull the super and make them start over. Maybe you could apply some wax along the starter strip at the top to get them started right.

Yeah. It is so weird. Both gives did this. I applied wax to both starter strips. My thinking was that the bees didn't make it far from brood box so that's why they did what they did.

I have seen bees start from the bottom all the time with foundation frames but never with starter strips. Would this indicate a desire for more brood space maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief11885 View Post
    Yeah. It is so weird. Both gives did this. I applied wax to both starter strips. My thinking was that the bees didn't make it far from brood box so that's why they did what they did.
    Suggest you put one or two already drawn combs near the centre of the box to act as a 'ladder' - once the bees have easy access to the top of the box, then they'll happily draw comb downwards from there.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/