Comb Honey Foundation

Default Comb Honey Foundation

In the past I have used Brushy Mnt. thin surplus foundation for Ross Rounds; very good stuff. I'm down to the last of the BM and ordered some from another supplier and it's not as good (to my eye, haven't tried it on the bees). I'd like to hear from any section comb honey beekeepers as to who has the best thin surplus foundation for sections.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Comb Honey Foundation

What is the BM part number you are looking for? Is it the 158/168?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

The sticker on the box says F31005.

That may be the manufacturers part number. Brushy Mountain sold the thin foundation for round sections using pn 158 for the 10 sheet box and pn 168 for the 5# box. I can check to see if a former distributor still has any left. There may be enough information on the box to figure out who made it for them originally. One thing about BM, they only sold the best.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6L6XTQDlDZkFHB

It came frome Dadant. That is their part number.

I thank you very much, but that's not the same. Dadant was the supplier I was referring to.

The number you gave me was on the BM box or the Dadant box? I thought it was from the BM box, so I crossed it over. BM did not actually make it, they resold it from another supplier. Trying to figure out who it was.

The # I gave was off the BM box. It was a 5# box. The Dadant I just got is F31001, a 1lb box. The stickers obviously came off the same printer but, the foundation is clearly way different. I sure appreciate your help!
    Last edited by Schultz; 07-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.

OK, I found another box of 4-1/8" thin surplus from Dadant and it is beautiful, just like the Brushy Mt., deeply embossed and nice and flat.
    The 3-7/8" I got from them didn't seem as deeply embossed and was kind of wavy (not real flat). Maybe stored too long at varying temperatures, different run, or maybe I'm just "straining at gnats". At any rate, I thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

There are not but a few foundation manufacturing places. Dadant and Brushy were packaged in the same boxes made in the same box plant. They don't ship corrugated boxes very far. May give a clue, Brushy was the reseller.

Check the cardboard burst test label printed on the bottom of the box. It will show the place where the corogated cardboard was manufactured, and is USSUALLY near where the product in it is manufactured. In the past, to the best of my knowledge, Dadant and Kelly where the sole suppliers of wax foundation. I did hear a rumor that ML was tooling up, but can not confirm.

Crazy Roland

I am sure that with ML buying Kelly that their will be very little up tooling need.

My-smokepole - I am not so sure. They may be much more aggressive on their future plans. We went there to purchase foundation, and had to mix and match to get 2000 sheets.

Crazy Roland

I always bought thin surplus 7/11 from Kelley. Partly because I hate using an excluder and the queen doesn't like laying in the 7/11.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Is there really even a need for thin surplus foundation for cut comb honey? This past season I gave the bees a few medium foundationless frames, made the same way as my deeps, but without the fishing line. I got some very nice capped honey comb and am able to market it as all natural comb. Also a way to help justify the $20 per half frame price.

I believe the reason for "thin surplus" foundation is to improve the mouth feel of comb honey. It reduces the the percentage of wax you are eating.

The choice is yours.

Crazy Roland