Storing frames with capped brood (after freezing) at room temp?

Default Storing frames with capped brood (after freezing) at room temp?

Iíve removed a small super to lessen the real estate my bees have to cover. I froze the frames with a small number of capped brood on a couple of frames. I donít have much freezer space so is it OK to store those frames at room temperature without worry that the brood will rot?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Storing frames with capped brood (after freezing) at room temp?

The brood will begin to rot and stink to high heaven. Any frame that only has honey will be fine.

Nancy

You might try sticking the super back on the hive and let the bees clean out the dead brood. Should not take them long. Nancy is right, rotting brood is an awful stench, especially when your bee room is a spare bedroom in your house.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    You might try sticking the super back on the hive and let the bees clean out the dead brood. Should not take them long. Nancy is right, rotting brood is an awful stench, especially when your bee room is a spare bedroom in your house.
    Will they clean this completely if you put it above an inner cover, like putting on a just extracted super frame?

Quote Originally Posted by dddillon View Post
    Will they clean this completely if you put it above an inner cover, like putting on a just extracted super frame?
    Never tried it that way, but I don't think so. Always have thought that above the inner cover and the bees do not consider it part of the hive. Next time i get a dead out with brood, I will give it a try. Very unscientific, but will satisfy my need to know.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.