Newbee trying to move a recent swarm to a new hive.

Default Newbee trying to move a recent swarm to a new hive.

Howdy,

I'm a newbee that feels like I finally got a sign that I should start beekeeping. I have been fascinated with bees for a while and my neighbor (who is also a newbee) and I are trying to get things started together.

My neighbor already has a cleaned out hive, and I believe a swarm just started a new colony in my barn (this was the sign). I would love to get them to transfer to a new hive, and I have been watching lots of videos and reading lots of articles. But my question is, if this is a new swarm (which likely is from neighbors down the street) and I want to transfer them to a new hive, should I go ahead and try to transfer them sooner rather than later, or should I give it some time for them to start building some combs and get some larve going before we try to transfer them?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Will also welcome youtube links and criticism.

Thank you,

Justin
    Dallas, Texas

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The sonner the better. you want the new comb drawn on your frames and you want the foraging bees to orientate to your box, not the barn.

Default Re: Newbee trying to move a recent swarm to a new hive.

Definitely seems like a sign to me an what Alex said. You might want to read up on rubber banding/tying comb into frames just in case they've drawn comb. Getting your protective gear before doing the transfer is probably a good idea too.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Awesome, thank you so much. Yes I saw a couple of youtube videos of how JPTheBeeMan was doing it, seemed pretty straight forward. Already got some gear coming. Thanks!

If they just moved in the last few days, you can bet there will be drawn comb in there....be ready to cut it out and move it to your frames. (be sure to keep it oriented, top to top, the same as when removed) Then add a frame feeder and feed them 1:1 sugar water to help get them growing.