Trumps approval of pesticides

Default Trumps approval of pesticides

https://www.ecowatch.com/emergency-t...638979880.html

Any body know how much truth there is to this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Trumps approval of pesticides

if you read the article, it's been going on for years b/4 trump became president, but you get far more clicks if the name Trump is involved.
    ""This is not a new problem," said Burd. "This has been going on for six consecutive years and we have not been in the Trump administration for six consecutive years." So, yes, Trump's EPA did this, but "this is by no means a new problem. Our pesticide registration and approval process is fundamentally broken. "
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

And yet beehive numbers continue to increase.

Go figure.

I am neither pro or anti Trump. However i found the continued mention in the article of "Trump", with terms such as "Trumps EPA", annoying. The EPA is the EPA, not "Trumps EPA".

The article was alarmist and had an agenda.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Well said. I thought it was just another attack on trump for the most part. Never mentioned during OBAMA administration. At least to my knowledge. Was just curious of people’s thoughts. I

Every president has plenty of things they get attacked for. It goes with the job. With a population as diverse as you find in the US, it is almost impossible to get 60% of the people to agree on anything. As far as the EPA goes, they have to weigh and balance the good and the bad on a lot of issues. If the farmer is going to lose $50,000 in sales of whatever he is growing without pesticides versus the beekeeper who is going to lose 100 hives from that pesticide use, guess who is going to win? Who provides crop insurance to the farmer but not hive insurance to the beekeepers? Which is more important to the average American, bees or a well fed family? Who do most people think is the cornerstone for the survival of our country? The farmer of course. When it comes to who is more important, the farmer or the beekeeper, the government and the populace will side with the farmer almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    Every president has plenty of things they get attacked for. It goes with the job. With a population as diverse as you find in the US, it is almost impossible to get 60% of the people to agree on anything. As far as the EPA goes, they have to weigh and balance the good and the bad on a lot of issues. If the farmer is going to lose $50,000 in sales of whatever he is growing without pesticides versus the beekeeper who is going to lose 100 hives from that pesticide use, guess who is going to win? Who provides crop insurance to the farmer but not hive insurance to the beekeepers? Which is more important to the average American, bees or a well fed family? Who do most people think is the cornerstone for the survival of our country? The farmer of course. When it comes to who is more important, the farmer or the beekeeper, the government and the populace will side with the farmer almost every time.
    The use of massive mono culture techniques and the seed choices are a large part of the need for pesticides. Example: the natives have a corn that is as productive or more productive than Monsanto corn, but Monsanto is a powerhouse and wins out. Many varieties have alternatives. Europe doesn't allow the same pesticide use as the US and they maintain highly productive farm regions. FWIW, bees health or not, limiting the massive pesticide use is in our own human best interest, but since it is a slow killer too many people are willing to ignore it and Monsanto continues to win contracts and legalization of chemicals that haven't been properly tested by outside labs not beholden to the manufacturer.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I moved this thread to Coffee Klatch to allow a freer range of discussion.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Allow the conspiracy theories to begin.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    The use of massive mono culture techniques and the seed choices are a large part of the need for pesticides. Example: the natives have a corn that is as productive or more productive than Monsanto corn, but Monsanto is a powerhouse and wins out. Many varieties have alternatives. Europe doesn't allow the same pesticide use as the US and they maintain highly productive farm regions. FWIW, bees health or not, limiting the massive pesticide use is in our own human best interest, but since it is a slow killer too many people are willing to ignore it and Monsanto continues to win contracts and legalization of chemicals that haven't been properly tested by outside labs not beholden to the manufacturer.
    Sure like to get my hands on some of that "native" corn that can produce 14,000 lbs of corn per acre...

Not sure what "legalization" of chems is, I assume you mean approval for a label of use in crops. Takes years, sometimes decades of testing to get approval, so not sure what "proper" testing is.

Everyone likes to blame the farmer, and the applicators for "massive" use of pesticides. At one time, and possibly still, walmart was the nations largest retailer of pesticides by total pounds. The most common mis application of pesticide is people raising their own produce in gardens, where with no protective equipment, they just pour the crap out with no regard for how much they apply, wind direction, time before rain, harvest interval, etc... perfect example being the lady in the garden flinging Sevin dust everywhere trying to kill caterpillars in tomatoes, wearing flip flops, a skirt, and a tee shirt. And when she's done, she'll pick the tomato, take it to the kitchen, slice and eat it, and post a pic on Pinterest how much safer growing her own was.

Funny how farmers get blamed a lot for the neonicotinoid use causing issues with flowers, when one of the major uses of neonics is as termite treatment for houses, where the soil around the house is drenched with enough to protect it for 30-50 years, and then the occupants who gripe the most about neonics plant flowers all around their house to help "save the bees".
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    if you read the article, it's been going on for years b/4 trump became president, but you get far more clicks if the name Trump is involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    And yet beehive numbers continue to increase.

Go figure.

The article was alarmist and had an agenda.
    and Bob's your uncle

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    and Bob's your uncle
    I've been telling folks for years, no, Bob is not my uncle. We went to school together, he's my friend, but he is not my uncle....

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    and Bob's your uncle
    bob who? I'm from the east coast, you have to be specific about stuff? I have no imagination.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Well snip snip and Bobs your Auntie.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    bob who? I'm from the east coast, you have to be specific about stuff? I have no imagination.
    ok .....Robert is your mother's brother.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle
    and there you have it

Well well, my friend from West Virginia calls his mother's brother "daddy", but that is another story.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.