looking for a well tested procedure to dry honey in the comb

Default looking for a well tested procedure to dry honey in the comb

I spot checked a few frames of capped honey in my hivesand my capped honey is up around 19%-19.5%. I did a search and came up with a lot of different information. I thought of putting the supers in my basement in a small room with a dehumidifier and fans blowing across the frames. My basement is cool, wondering would it be better to put them in my barn where i extract. The barn is warm, but 24' x 40'. So my questions are, will fans alone bring down the moisture content or will the dehumidifier be needed also? Or will the dehumidifier alone work in a small room?If so, how low do you need to bring down the outside humidity. Would be easier to just use fans in my barn, but i would like to have it dried in 2 days or so. Looking for anyone who has a process they have used with good results.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: looking for a well tested procedure to dry honey in the comb

Went back thru a couple hives and did a larger sampling. Seems like only the honey in the top box is a little high in moisture. The box directly below is around 17%. I pulled a frame with capped and uncapped, the uncapped was a little over 19% and the capped was a little under 19%. I put this frame in a small room in my basement with a dehumidifier running and a small fan blowing on it to see how much i can reduce the moisture in a day or 2. I will report my results

See the chapter on the topic in Carl Killion’s Honey in the Comb.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Fan alone may not do the job if the relative humidity is higher. The dehumidifier keeps the humidity low but it heats up the room in the process. So basement would be my choice.

I let the fan blow though the stack of boxes and keep dehumidifier running in a garage with doors closed! I tried fan only in the garage in my first year but was going nowhere so I bought the dehumidifier.

Thanks guys, i have the 1 frame with the fan blowing on it and the dehumidifier running now to see how long it takes to bring it down 1% or so

After 2 days I rechecked. Uncapped and capped- a little under 18.5%. Humidity in the room was 40%. This seems to work, so I think I will pull all my top boxes that are a little wet and dry them for 2 days. Looks like mostly just the top box is a little high. Checked next super below and capped is 17%ish.

We just put ours in the living room on a table, fan blowing on it, AC running. It takes about 2-3 days to pull the moisture out, drops them to around 17%. No dehumidifier.
    Zone 6b: 18 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I harvested my honey yesterday. I usually do so in my pole barn, but the humidity was so high, decided to do it in my sunroom with the dehumidifier running. I periodically checked the honey in my bucket and It was 17.5-18. I think from now on, I will pull my honey 2 days before and place in my sunroom with the dehumidifier and fans running. Plus, by he time I pull all the boxes and blow off all the bees, I'm soaked with sweat. I pull my frames 1 at a time and blow the bees off with a cordless blower.
    Would be nice to get up on the morning I'm going to extract and get right to work extracting.

I had honey at 19%, one shallow super. In about 8 hrs, got it down to 18% or less.

I put the super and a space heater in a small room (OK, it was my bathroom, don't judge), thermostat set to 90 degrees. I made sort of a funnel - I put the space heater a bit lower than the super, about 1 foot away. I put a lid over the super, but pulled the lid forward, and had the last 2 inches of the super exposed - thinking I would force the air over the frames.

it worked. This winter I will build a honey closet.

I stack all my supers up on a screened bottom board and put a box fan flat on top, blowing down through the stack. This is in a hot garage. The air movement seems to keep the beetles down for an extra couple of days, and I’m sure it dries uncapped cells down some, though I haven’t tested it.
    Mistakes are the best taechers