Queenless and honey bound - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Queenless and honey bound

I pulled/split the queens in 5 of my hives due to swarming and let them finish several cells in each. In one I was sure was going to be LW in a week if there was no queen I did the "velcro test" with a laying queen from a hive I was looking to re-queen they seemed to accept her so i let her walk in the front door.

Three days later I went back and found several eggs in random spots around the hive in groups about the size of a golf ball on different frames. I at this point decided to shaker box the whole hive to find the queen for curiosity's sake as the random eggs seemed odd to me. Well I got to the the last box and found a new queen who obviously didn't like the old one I sent in who was no longer present. I then put 2 boxes on the bottom board planning to put a queen exclude on so it would be easier to monitor her next time. Well she flew strait up and off when I left her cage open for her to walk out. Then I was concerned she may land on a super as they were all heavily fanning on top of the bars so I quickly put the stack back together and left it. Came back 1 week later and found lots of capped brood..

I found similar laying patterns in my other hives when the newly MQ just starts laying. Almost looks like they just walk around and test out their new features a bit especially if its an already established hive with lots of space and some back filling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Be careful about introducing a new queen. If you found a few larva in there it's either the beginning of a laying worker or you have a queen that has problems in there. In either case, they will act like they are queen right and reject any queen you introduce. Just because you find no queen doesn't mean it doesn't have a queen. It may have a queen that you just can't find, or it's going laying worker. If it's going laying worker, you have to first suppress that before a queen is introduced. Plenty of reading about that found on beesource.

Also, it could almost look like the queen is accepted in a colony, but look close to see if they are biting at the cage.

When I proposed putting eggs and brood frame in a queen less hive now in upstate New York I said that it was getting late. By the time the bees create a queen cell the virgin queen hatches and takes a mating flight returns starts to lay and there are significant numbers of workers that are old enough to be productive the season will be coming to an end. Summers are way too short in my book. Good luck with your new queen. Best bet.

UPDATE #2

I have eggs and four-day-old larvae! Thanks for the advice to wait a bit before attempting to requeen. I promised myself I wouldn't let them swarm this year but overtime at work prevented me from keeping up with the hive, which is a 40 minute drive away to begin with.

Good time to find the queen get a push cage and mark the queen green so you know what is going on and for future reference. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12