How do you ventilate Layens hives? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How do you ventilate Layens hives?

Quote Originally Posted by RPA2019 View Post
    Yes Greg, Leo did get a whiff of this video. I went to one of his seminars earlier this year and he showed us this exact video.
    LOL! I figured.

After my first winter struggles with these top bars (trivial dry sugar feeding was a major PITA) - I said - forget about it.
    That is Spain there.
    Not here.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Seems as if a current touching-bar hive implementation in the Spain-proper seem to be working fine for them (to be sure, Spain is compatible to the very deep South of the US).
    Hi Greg
    The reason I think that touching frames are less than ideal, is due to the inevitable build-up of propolis, whether this be between top-bars or Hoffman side-bars, which gradually increases the frame spacing distance.

I believe that most humans tend to see the comb itself as being the basic 'unit' (for lack of a better word) of a beehive - which is not surprising, as the combs present themselves as objects, whereas the space between combs is not quite so apparent. So - we tend to think of bees living/ working/ hanging-out etc on top of combs, rather than in the spaces between them. Perhaps we ought to think of the area between mid-ribs as being what's important (as in 'B' below, rather than 'A')

So - what Layens did was to place marks on the sides of the rebate (rabbet) so that the frames would always be returned to exactly the same position, with the V-closures effectively providing immunity from any propolis build-up between those closures and the frame top-bars - thus ensuring that the all-important spacing between combs is maintained. That assumes of course that the frames are replaced in the same position after being removed for inspection.

Edit: the use of a 'soft' Crown Board (Inner Cover) would, of course, do exactly the same job. De Layens recommends cloth which has been soaked in wax for this purpose.
    LJ
    Last edited by little_john; 12-03-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Hi Greg
    The reason I think that touching frames are less than ideal, is due to the inevitable build-up of propolis, whether this be between top-bars or Hoffman side-bars, which gradually increases the frame spacing distance.......
    LJ
    LJ, exactly.

Scraping the propolis off the wooden ware is a chore I never have time for.
    So my 1.25" frame as a default is a good default - since effectively it is always MORE than 1.25".
    Eventually, the frames become 1.5" and more and more - really have to scrape them back down.

I can understand the Layens motivation for the static frame positions (that in itself creates another hassle, however - which I rather avoid).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123