2 queen colonies

Default 2 queen colonies

Ob two occasions I have found 2 queens in one colony. On each occasion the queens do not seem to be inclined to lay very much. I am asking what has been the experience of others, and what action have others taken, and whether that was a good fix? I am contemplating pinching one of the two queens rather than splitting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2 queen colonies

The amount of brood isn’t entirely up to the queens. The workers can only care for so much brood. I would leave them both.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    Ob two occasions I have found 2 queens in one colony. On each occasion the queens do not seem to be inclined to lay very much. I am asking what has been the experience of others, and what action have others taken, and whether that was a good fix? I am contemplating pinching one of the two queens rather than splitting.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil
    Why Pinch one? And which one do you pinch? Just curious?

Agreed. If they’re in the same box they’ll work it out. I did have a hive with a queen above and one below the excluder. I left the best looking one and put the other in a nuc.

@ Barhopper: I was thinking of something similar to what you did. How did that work out? Did one of the splits do better than the other?

Phil

Yes one did better. The one I left. I had two different brood nest though, one on each side of the excluder. When they’re both in the same box I let them work it out. I’m checking a double queen hive tomorrow. It’ll be interesting to see if there are still two in there. I’m betting not.