Should I remove a box full of pollen?

Default Should I remove a box full of pollen?

Some of my hives are extra enthusiastic about bringing in pollen. I discovered that the entire bottom box - all 10 frames - are full of pollen in one hive. I know they've got some more modest amounts of pollen above and will be packing in even more when the fall flowers begin. This just seems like overkill. I'm uncertain whether I should just remove that box altogether. Seeking input.

I don't do a pollen trap but probably should start on some of my hives. Once turned into bee bread, I can't figure out what to do with the stuff. I put it in my freezer and then the next season there's yet another load coming in, so I don't need to give it back to the bees. And I've tried eating it in the comb. That tastes good but I can only take so much of it before it starts being unappealing.

Thanks for ideas/suggestions. My hunch which may be completely wrong is that those hives which bring in tons of pollen are in need of more comb to draw. Maybe I'm not providing them with enough foundation and they're transitioning quickly into field bees specializing in pollen collection. I understand that becoming a nectar collector is the last job the bee takes on, and they do that pretty much till they die. I'd welcome anyone providing a challenge to this suspicion which I can't corroborate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Should I remove a box full of pollen?

what size and how many boxes do you have? In this hoarding hive what does the brood chamber look like? Removing pollen frames imo is not worth the effort. You might just be in a perfect storm of pollen and should try and get a top mounted trap. Not cheap but would solve your problem.
    Terrence

I don't think I want to go to the trouble of changing to a top entrance. So maybe pollen collecting is not worthwhile. This stuff's GOT to be good for something - bird food? dog /cat food? (as bee bread, in the comb, that is.)

The hive depth is about the equivalent of two deeps and a medium. I think it's actually two mediums, then a deep , then a medium on top full of honey at this point. The bottom box though is full of pollen. I just removed a box above as they had too much space, now that the flow is over.

[QUOTE=karenarnett;1737765]Some of my hives are extra enthusiastic about bringing in pollen. I discovered that the entire bottom box - all 10 frames - are full of pollen in one hive. I know they've got some more modest amounts of pollen above and will be packing in even more when the fall flowers begin. This just seems like overkill. I'm uncertain whether I should just remove that box altogether. Seeking input.

In my neck of the woods, frame after frame of pollen is a sign of a failing queen in a hive soon to be overrun by small hive beetle....all gifted by mites ultimately. Maybe your queens are fine. But IMO, it would be a good idea to remove much of the pollen....save for feeding which is not something I personally do if only because of the hive beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by karenarnett View Post
    . Once turned into bee bread, I can't figure out what to do with the stuff..
    Harvest and sell.
    Of course, best if not contaminated by treatments.
    Details:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...-Eating-pollen
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Your queenright? Eggs and larvae sorry for the basic question. I’ve seen similar things in queenless hives. I run single brood boxes with excluders so my experiences would be completely different for those who let the queen go wherever.