Larva from a friend

Default Larva from a friend

Assume my two hives have no brood. From that I figure either no queen, or she's not functioning.
    So I go to a friend and with her help, remove several larva to cups and cover with a damp cloth.
    How long do I have to get those loaded cells into my hive? - Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Larva from a friend

Given the right temperatures and humidity, day old larvae can survive out of a hive for several days. They do not develop though.

Although you do not say it, I'm guessing the purpose of what you are doing is to allow your hives to raise queens from these larvae? If that is the case, you want the healthiest possible queens, I would recommend trying to get them in the hive within 1/2 an hour.

But if that's not possible, just do the best you can, still better to get them transferred even with a longer time frame, than not at all.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

if you have a nuc box just borrow the frame for a few days. Are you in a death down in VA right now? Did you look and find the queens?
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    if you have a nuc box just borrow the frame for a few days. Are you in a death down in VA right now? Did you look and find the queens?
    Terrence - Good idea; I'd have to solve the TBH/Lang transfer problem.
    Nope, still bringing in nectar. My tool for measuring that is to set out some syrup, and if no one visits, I assume they have a better source.
    - Mike