Clumping under SBB

Default Clumping under SBB

Hi all! New to both beekeeping and the forum!

I have read many of the posts on here about SBB vs solid and also keeping the insert in on the SBB. Here is my current issue and Id like your thoughts on what to do next.

I brought home 4 nucs on 6/15 and moved 2 of them into their new 10 frame homes that same day. No issues. All nucs had brood and honey frames and the new 10 frame homes all had SBB with the insert taken out.
    The next day transferred the other 2 nucs into their new 10 frame homes but on that last nuc I could not find the queen.

I waited a week and inspected the hives again on 6/22 with the guy who I bought the nucs from. The first 3 looked good and all had evidence of the queen doing her thing. But that last one I did not see any evidence of a queen at all. We did see a few queen cells being built. We did notice a clump underneath the SBB though. It was hard to tell but it didnt look like the queen was under there. We decided that we will inspect the hive again sometime around 7/3 when the new queen should have hatched.

I went out again last night and noticed there was still clumping underneath.

So my question is....Should I re-install the insert on that SBB or just wait until we inspect again on 7/3? Should I try and brush the clump underneath into a box so I can dump them back into the hive from the top? Any other thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I’m wondering if that clump of bees is clustered around your missing Queen who was stuck outside the hive under the screen?
    Newbeek starting w/2 Pkg hives (2019). Zone 6a Central Indiana

Default Re: Clumping under SBB

Quote Originally Posted by Champy View Post
    I’m wondering if that clump of bees is clustered around your missing Queen who was stuck outside the hive under the screen?
    We looked on first inspection and didnt see her but it was hard to see under there so we might have missed her.

Since it’s only a single box hive ... lift the box off the SBB and set it on a flat piece of plywood (or something) with a small sheet or pillowcase covering the open top. Then take the SBB and shake the clump off onto the pillowcase before reassembling the stack. Inspect the pillowcase or sheet first to maybe find your Queen? Then you can simply roll the pillowcase over and displace the clump into hive from top (w/found Queen hopefully).
    Newbeek starting w/2 Pkg hives (2019). Zone 6a Central Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Champy View Post
    Since it’s only a single box hive ... lift the box off the SBB and set it on a flat piece of plywood (or something) with a small sheet or pillowcase covering the open top. Then take the SBB and shake the clump off onto the pillowcase before reassembling the stack. Inspect the pillowcase or sheet first to maybe find your Queen? Then you can simply roll the pillowcase over and displace the clump into hive from top (w/found Queen hopefully).
    I think that is an excellent idea. Tight clumps of bees like that will often contain a queen.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

So its probably better to do this now instead of waiting another week
    Newbeek starting w/4 nucs (6/2019) -- Zone 8b -- Central Texas

I would. If the bees have started to draw any comb under the hive, she is almost certainly there.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

The point of having the screened BB is so you can take a look at what falls out of the hive. If you take out the inspection tray and let the stuff fall on the ground how can you inspect Screened bottoms are not for ventilation does not help reduce mites.

Quote Originally Posted by riverara View Post
    Hi all! New to both beekeeping and the forum!

I have read many of the posts on here about SBB vs solid and also keeping the insert in on the SBB. Here is my current issue and Id like your thoughts on what to do next.

I brought home 4 nucs on 6/15 and moved 2 of them into their new 10 frame homes that same day. No issues. All nucs had brood and honey frames and the new 10 frame homes all had SBB with the insert taken out.
    The next day transferred the other 2 nucs into their new 10 frame homes but on that last nuc I could not find the queen.

I waited a week and inspected the hives again on 6/22 with the guy who I bought the nucs from. The first 3 looked good and all had evidence of the queen doing her thing. But that last one I did not see any evidence of a queen at all. We did see a few queen cells being built. We did notice a clump underneath the SBB though. It was hard to tell but it didnt look like the queen was under there. We decided that we will inspect the hive again sometime around 7/3 when the new queen should have hatched.

I went out again last night and noticed there was still clumping underneath.

So my question is....Should I re-install the insert on that SBB or just wait until we inspect again on 7/3? Should I try and brush the clump underneath into a box so I can dump them back into the hive from the top? Any other thoughts?
    Burn the ssb and be done with it. They are just not worth the trouble and are in fact something for the bees to overcome and survive. Bees choose cavities with ONE smallish entrance that they can effectively use to ventilate their hive. A harmful mythology.

I agree but in the mean time I need to figure out what to do.
    Newbeek starting w/4 nucs (6/2019) -- Zone 8b -- Central Texas

Pretty simple take the bottom off give it a rap to drop the bees on top of the frames replace the insert reassemble the hive. Done

Dan, that would be you or me. Riverara wants to find the queen which might be in the clump of bees.

sometimes you just have to get in there and fix up your mess ups we all been there. don't worry about the queen the bees will know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Burn the ssb and be done with it. They are just not worth the trouble and are in fact something for the bees to overcome and survive. Bees choose cavities with ONE smallish entrance that they can effectively use to ventilate their hive. A harmful mythology.
    Perhaps you would be good enough to provide just one piece of evidence to support that statement ?
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    The point of having the screened BB is so you can take a look at what falls out of the hive. If you take out the inspection tray and let the stuff fall on the ground how can you inspect Screened bottoms are not for ventilation does not help reduce mites.
    Oh yes they are - or at least 'can be'. That was their original use around 150 years ago - which I hope you will agree pre-dates Varroa by one or two years ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Perhaps you would be good enough to provide just one piece of evidence to support that statement ?
    LJ
    One piece is The well researched book, honeybee democracy. Bees do not choose cavities with gaping holes in the bottom. Another might be that those of us who live where air conditioning is a real benefit to our lives, DO NOT open all the windows when we turn on the AC. It defeats the direction of air flow thru cooling coils and defeats the cooling. The same thing happens when people latch onto the shibboleth foisted on new beekeepers by the manifold one book mentors.

The only good screened bottom boards are good for is to see the mite drop after an OAV treatment. So the few that I have remaining are always closed up with a board anyway, first of all to prevent a queen returning from mating flights fro taking up residence under the screen which has happened many times in my colonies. At one time for swarm prevention I removed the old queens in the spring and requeened with queen cells. The other problem was that queens were reluctant to use the bottom box for brood rearing if the screen was left open. On a few occasions I have helped other beekeepers sort out a hive with the queen under the screen, actually made a video of one such instance some years ago. Slid bottoms for me from then on.