Using a Quiet Box (instead of a frame rest) and hives drapes - makes a difference

Default Using a Quiet Box (instead of a frame rest) and hives drapes - makes a difference

4 hives- 2nd year beekeeping- One out of 4 hives is more protective during inspections so I built a Quiet Box to keep them calmer and to see if it made a difference. Watched YouTube videos by Billy Davis and built one out of a nuc box and scraps and painted the inside black. Did a full inspection on 4 colonies yesterday using the Quiet Box (instead of using a frame rest mounted on the outside of the hive) and flour sack dish towels used as drapes that I bought at BiMart. Enjambres talks about this and I'm sold. After pulling the 2nd frame out and putting it inside the box then doing the inspection, I went back at the end to add them back in and they were as calm as could be. Very still and calm as could be as I lifted them out and put them back in. The drapes are used to cover the colony that is not being directly inspected. MUCH less flying and they are far more protected from predation and robbing. The hive that is more protective is still a little more animated but there is a difference in their attitude for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Using a Quiet Box (instead of a frame rest) and hives drapes - makes a difference

That's exactly my experience, too, and why I teach Quiet Boxes to all my students. I use political signs to cover the boxes, rather than cloths, but I sure it is the same.

Of course, bees who live in a dark and contained world will get antsy if hung out in the open air.

A calm bee yard is worth far, far more than the minor extra effort to use a Quiet Box. It can be faster, too. because once you've come across your queen and stashed her and her frame in the QB, you can move right along in your inspection.

Nancy

Default Re: Using a Quiet Box (instead of a frame rest) and hives drapes - makes a difference

I agree. I made my box extra deep so as not to damage queen cells.

A calm bee yard is worth far, far more than the minor extra effort to use a Quiet Box. It can be faster, too. because once you've come across your queen and stashed her and her frame in the QB, you can move right along in your inspection.

Nancy[/QUOTE]

So glad you read my note. IMG_0493.JPGIMG_0494.JPG Thought I'd show you my setup. The first time I used it I didn't love it. But I was also putting it on the ground. So I spent about two hours the other day clearing space and putting tree stumps on the left of each hive to set the box on. This may sound silly to experienced people but until I'm more experienced I need routine. There is additional space on the bottom made of hardware cloth for queen cells if I happen on them (as the other commenter suggested). I added a magnet for my hive tool. I also reverse engineered a Vivaldi Board using MannLake's winter cover. But that will go to another thread.