Splits as mating hives

Default Splits as mating hives

I have about 20 splits I made that will be queen right this week (should be) my attempt at using the mini matting nucs was a cat 5 failure so until I get a grasp on them I was considering just letting the newly mates queens that take lay for about a week then harvesting them and re introducing another virgin a few days later. Is this an acceptable method. Can it be sustainable for a few cycles without having to add many bees. These are five frame nucs in ten frame deep colonies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Splits as mating hives

Yes it is sustainable and in fact long time ago that is how queens were raised commercially. You may want to leave the queens laying for 2 - 3 weeks before caging to ensure population is maintained, but also these hives can explode, so use you judgement about how long to let them lay.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes it is sustainable and in fact long time ago that is how queens were raised commercially. You may want to leave the queens laying for 2 - 3 weeks before caging to ensure population is maintained, but also these hives can explode, so use you judgement about how long to let them lay.
    Good deal thanks!