Are TF BeeKeepers Stimulating Colonies to Apply Propolis Envelopes in Hives? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are TF BeeKeepers Stimulating Colonies to Apply Propolis Envelopes in Hives?

Two years ago I caught a swarm and those bees propolized like crazy. Within a week they had the top entrance completely closed off except for a few bee-width gaps. They narrowed the already narrow lower entrance. They propolized the OUTSIDE of the hive along all the edges where the boards met. They coated every inside surface with the oddest, gooiest, runniest orange propolis. All this within a couple of weeks of swarming into this hive.

That hive died in the winter. They had heavy mites and wrinkled wings, wax moth and small hive beetles all at the same time. A lot of their trouble was my poor management. New beekeeper who didn't notice the problems soon enough and didn't take effective action after I saw the problems. Treated the mites but too late in the season to really do much good. Should have removed excess space to help with the beetles and moths, etc.

They propolized heavily long before there could possibly have been moths or beetles in the hive, and the early mite load should have been low after a swarm. The propolis seems to have done them little to no good.

Reusing the equipment this year and was interested to notice the bees gradually removing that old propolis. The new propolis they are making is grey and sticky but not at all runny. Same location.

I don't really care one way or the other. If the bees want propolis, fine with me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Are TF BeeKeepers Stimulating Colonies to Apply Propolis Envelopes in Hives?

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    That hive died in the winter. They had heavy mites and wrinkled wings, wax moth and small hive beetles all at the same time.
    In Russia, this is how it is with the Grey Caucasians.
    While they are easy to manage bees (very mild), they are very decease prone AND propolis hoarders.
    So this entire "healthy propolis" talk is another new shiny thing the scientists came up with (to justify the funding I guess OR maybe to change the topic).
    The science can not save the bees anyway it appears, the science best to just step away and let the things just happen naturally.

Propolis will not save the crappy bees.
    Good bees need no propolis to save them.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    In Russia, this is how it is with the Grey Caucasians.
    While they are easy to manage bees (very mild), they are very decease prone AND propolis hoarders.
    I suspected they might be part Caucasian simply due to the propolis. They varied hugely in color and size from fat pure blond with no stripes to dark, almost black small ones. Made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I suspected they might be part Caucasian simply due to the propolis. They varied hugely in color and size from fat pure blond with no stripes to dark, almost black small ones. Made no difference.
    Since here in the US we deal with a melting pot - the appearances don't matter much anymore.
    Nothing matters much anymore.
    We are really looking at a different animal in making we don't really know what it is.

Seriously, how people can even label the bees with honest face?
    Including well regarded people....

Once the bee has been removed from its original place - it is a different bee.
    End of story.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I don't treat the inside to get them to propolize it. I do dip it in beeswax and rosin and the bees treat that like propolis. They gather it from boxes that aren't in use and my gloves when I'm dipping.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12