Wax per pound via crush and strain

Default Wax per pound via crush and strain

Just as the title says. Anyone have a rough idea on amount of wax harvested per 100 pounds of honeycomb (crush and strain) ? Trying to figure rough wax profit for 50 tbh’s.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax per pound via crush and strain

It will depend on the length and depth of your bars and whether or not they are honey comb or brood comb bars. I recover less wax from brood bars that they fill with honey. From my 19" long (17" interior length) and 10" deep bars that weigh 5-7 pounds at harvest including the bar, I recover approx. 1 oz of beeswax from each bar.

Default Re: Wax per pound via crush and strain

Unless you have a system to press the melted brood comb the cocoons hold the liquid wax like a sponge! I dont even bother. With 50 hives though, it would be worthwhile to rig up something.

I remember seeing on one of Dee Lusby's vids them using something that looked like coffee bean bags stacked in a press container with steam injection.
    Frank

Thanks Ruthiesbees my tbh combs are about the same as yours. Was figuring about 1lb per 100 lbs so you seem to be right on.

Crafter I have steam processing available along with solar wax melting can retrieve up 90% of wax. Lusby’s use wax press not will to invest in one yet if they can still be purchased.