Quaility and Service Issues at Dadant

Default Quaility and Service Issues at Dadant

Hi All,

I wanted to make certain that if you are looking to buy an extractor or any other types of equipment from Dadant that they are having significant issues with welding. I purchased an extractor from Dadant and the welds were very ugly. One of the welds broke (Its not really a weld, see the picture below). I contacted Dadant, spoke to Gabe Dadant and he wants to mail a replacement. So every time I have a issue I have to wait on Dadant. He did agree to take the extractor back but I have to ship it at my expense, I already paid for shipping to me. For all the money I paid I expected alot better. I understand getting a qualified TIG welder is tough, but thats not my part. As well, if you get one that can TIG stainless make sure you keep them. Sounds like the metal fab shop is suffering as a result of lack of skills and problems retaining personnel. I am certain that some people had good experiences with them but for me - Its Maxant all the way from here. WP_20190608_23_10_03_Pro (2).jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Quaility and Service Issues at Dadant

I cant see enough detail to visualize the issue. What are the other significant welding issues. It is surprising that they dont seem more eager to make amends for poor quality. If they have switched to a mig process rather than tig I can see the welds having less eye appeal. Do you have any links to a complaints forum that might indicate if this is a widespread issue before we pile onto them.
    Frank

Ship their failed equipment back at your expense? Nooo - I don't think so.

I want to thank you for posting. I've never bought anything from Dadant, and you've now saved my the hassle of doing so in the future.

Dadant should make you whole on this. That's a popcorn weld at best. That should never have left their shop - if it was ever even in their shop.

How long ago did you purchase it? Have you sought recourse with your credit card company? Shipping their junk back at your expense is unacceptable.

Very happy with the Maxant equipment I have and hope to have in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
    Ship their failed equipment back at your expense? Nooo - I don't think so.

I want to thank you for posting. I've never bought anything from Dadant, and you've now saved my the hassle of doing so in the future.

Dadant should make you whole on this. That's a popcorn weld at best. That should never have left their shop - if it was ever even in their shop.

How long ago did you purchase it? Have you sought recourse with your credit card company? Shipping their junk back at your expense is unacceptable.

Very happy with the Maxant equipment I have and hope to have in the future.
    I couldnt agree more. My maxant gear is excellent. And NO WAY should you be paying to ship their poor workmanship back to them thats outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I cant see enough detail to visualize the issue. What are the other significant welding issues. It is surprising that they dont seem more eager to make amends for poor quality. If they have switched to a mig process rather than tig I can see the welds having less eye appeal. Do you have any links to a complaints forum that might indicate if this is a widespread issue before we pile onto them.
    I agree...can't see enough detail either. What model extractor is this? When did you purchase it? What was the warranty? They are going to "mail" you a replacement extractor?

I understand your frustration but let's not be too quick to pile on one of the best (along with Maxant) manufacturers of American made honey processing equipment, in my opinion. And I own lots of it from both companies.

Give them time to "Make it Right". You can not stay in business for 150 years by cheating the customer.

Crazy Roland

Pretty sure dadant in Illinois had/are having a ton of issues with flooding over the last month. Maybe still have flooding affecting them.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

I ask for more detail because I dont see any completed welds in the picture. I am guessing that what is pictured is the remains a couple of "tack welds" during assembly. It can happen that these may sometimes not get welded out. Inspection should have picked it up though.

I would like to see photos of the rest of the welding on the unit before I conjectured about the relative skill level of their welders. As for shipping costs, it is common enough to have the customer pay the shipping and then be reimbursed if the claim is substantiated.
    Frank

I have ordered from them for 10 years and have not hd any issues, but I dont purchase metal products. This is the first year I received some products that were broken, and they were very helpful and courteous in replacing them. I do know they have had some flooding problems. There is a reason this company has been in business for so many years.

I can't tell from your photo the nature of your problem. It would be helpful if you could describe the exact product and produce a better picture. Based on my experience I have difficulty understanding why Dadant isn't properly responding to your situtation. Your experience is completely opposite of my experience.

A failed weld happens. Poor QA/QC happens. A tack weld that was supposed to be followed up but is forgotten, happens.

In this case, one look at the image provided shows that one of the above, happened. To its credit, Dadant has stepped up and offered to willingly replace the failed part. That's evidence that they have also looked at that image and admitted a problem.

But they've not stepped up to cover and deal the return shipping, and that, is absolutely inexcusable. Its their problem, not their customers, and the burden of dealing with it, both from a cost and hassle issue of lining up return shipping, should not be placed on the customer. They've handled this poorly.

I remember a few instances here on the forum where it appeared that one party was a real villain until they got a chance to show records of correspondence exchange, with exactly what was said. In a he said, she said he said, some points can get lost in the exchange.

I am not suggesting the original poster is misrepresenting anything. I just think we should hear Dadant's side before we jump to conclusions about the issue. If the issue is that a weld was missed I think it would be very much to Dadant's advantage to reimburse the return shipping but perhaps not until they receive the returned item.
    Frank

Agree if you are going to complain lets see the whole unit. Are all the welds like that or is that the one they forgot to grind down? looks like a mig plug weld to me not TIG. As said above used to roughly hold everything together.
    still loving my amazon spinner i got 5 years ago for 350 bucks. Just sayin.
    Terrence

Another option is to see if Dadant is willing to pay to have it repaired locally. That option would have to cost less than shipping back to Dadant alone. And yes, it looks like a MIG tack weld that did not get good penetration into the bottom piece of metal.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Yup that's what i would do.

Although there is a sense of injustice about Dadant not fully putting you back to square one including shipping, it is such a small job for an engineer to do for you, that the path of least resistance may be to shrug your shoulders, write Dadant off, and take it to a local engineer who can probably do it in 5 minutes.

Or you may even know somebody with a welder.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

If it is on some of the frame structure, "somebody with a welder" might do OK. if it is on the vessel itself, buyer beware. Thin stainless is very unforgiving! Cant tell from that picture which it might be.
    Frank

I was in my Local Dadant branch and spoke with the manager today. He is a "Hamilton" boy, and knows Gabe. I strongly suggested that Gabe come on the site and join us in this discussion.

Crazy Roland

How did this get resolved? Or not?

Crazy Roland