When to put frames in the freezer

Default When to put frames in the freezer

When I pull frames off of a hive, I run them thru the freezer for 3 days and then seal them in plastic. I don’t use para-moth. If the frames have only been on the hive a short time and the bees have only gotten the frames “dirty” and they haven’t really pulled out any wax to amount to much, then do I still need to put in the freezer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: When to put frames in the freezer

I don't bother to freeze empty white combs (even if fully drawn-out), as they don't appear to be attractive to wax-moths - I just stash them away 'as is'. But - if there are any remnants of brood or a few pollen cells - then I do freeze them.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Wax moths prefer brood comb. That's what they're after. However, I've had bad infestations where they just go after any comb. Rarely bare foundation....if ever that I can recall. You may just want to do it to be on the safe side. Just my own experience here....
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I had some mini frames that I placed above a newly hived swarm. My intent was to have them drawn for queen breeding. After they were drawn I removed them to save for later. I neglected to spritz them with BT. Low and behold when I went to get them they were bare. Nothing but some silk and a whole bunch of black jimmies in the bottom of the box.

What's a "black jimmie" ?
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    What's a "black jimmie" ?
    LJ
    Jimmies are the extruded multi colored candies that they put on Ice cream. Some may call them sprinkles, Wax moth larva excrement resembles them But is black.