dark brood caps

Thread: dark brood caps

Default dark brood caps

One of the hives I inspected today had dark caps on some of the brood. Most was regular color, but dark caps were mixed in. I opened a few and the larvae look fine. I didn't pull them from the cell, but they looked like healthy heads. Any ideas on why some of the caps are dark?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: dark brood caps

Hi Heather,
    Seems to me the older the larve, the older caps are darker. Did ya compare the lighter capped with the darker capped. Which was more developed? How ya been lately. ? Are ya still working on your grafting, or finished for the season?

The different colors were mixed in together. More a blackish color than a darker, older cap.

Doing well here. Finally have some time to get some projects done. I've hung up the grafting for the season, but plan to do a few more walk away splits to get to 20.

Never saw that, any pics? Curious alao. Mabye someone will chime in on this. Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    One of the hives I inspected today had dark caps on some of the brood. Most was regular color, but dark caps were mixed in. I opened a few and the larvae look fine. I didn't pull them from the cell, but they looked like healthy heads. Any ideas on why some of the caps are dark?
    It just confirms that wax is being recycled - some older wax crumbs got reused in a pinch.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Hi Heather,
    Seems to me the older the larve, the older caps are darker............
    That would be uniformed pattern - like, getting dirty after being walked on.
    Like I said, older/darker wax crumbs got recycled in and ended up as darker caps there and here.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    It just confirms that wax is being recycled - some older wax crumbs got reused in a pinch.
    That is what I hoped would be said.