Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    118

    Default Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Anyone else feel frustration with their neighbors mowing their lawns through the dandelion and white clover blooms? This weekend there was a massive white clover bloom after the rains, and by the end of the day many of the properties had mowed down their lawns so short that the white clover was almost all gone.

    It's frustration because all it would take is a little bit of education. Don't mow the flowers, mow them when they're no longer flowering. People don't need lawns that are less than 1 cm in height, it's OK to let the lawn grow more than 1 inch. No one is going to care even if the lawn is 2 inches high.

    That's the end of my rant.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Butler Co, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    While I agree it'd be a great thing for lawns to be less "kept", it drives me crazy that we bee keepers, as a collective, believe we should have a say in how everyone else should have to manage their property to suit us. We are not entitled to property ownership without paying for it.

    We enjoy a good amount of benefit from our "trespassing livestock". In effect we are guests on the neighboring properties. Once we realize the difference between being entitled and being a guest, a lot of the frustration you speak of goes away. A guest offers a thank you or a gift for the stay, an entitled individual huffs and puffs about how bad things are. Many landowners will be swayed much more by a jar of honey than the complaining.

    I've seen this rant with all of us, from waiting to get our first hive, to commercial guys running tens of thousands of colonies. It may be the worst thing about bee keepers, universally, IMO.

    But I sure wish those lawn mowers would get a rest.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    I always have an idea what I shouldn't have done after the fact.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Derry, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,277

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    heck no. those are the same houses with kids that run barefoot and step on bees. They get stung and omg it must be that guy that has bees 2 blocks over. uh uh. go ahead and mow my bees will find plenty on their own.
    Terrence

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kirksville, Missouri USA
    Posts
    1,753

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    My frustration is the opposite. I find I have a hard time mowing down my dandelions in the spring when the yard needs it, and I want to swerve to miss bees. I am in the country with few neighbors and there are dandelions all over the place in the pastures.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    My frustration is the opposite. I find I have a hard time mowing down my dandelions in the spring when the yard needs it, and I want to swerve to miss bees. I am in the country with few neighbors and there are dandelions all over the place in the pastures.
    Ikr, I feel like "Swervin Irvin" mowing my yard

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    I don't mind my neighbors mowing. Most people around here dont have clover in their lawns, and I think my bees are mostly forging in open space anyways. I also think my bees sort of as being mutually beneficial, they pollinate my neighbors plants (including fruit trees) and in exchange I get some honey.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warren County, NJ, USA
    Posts
    505

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    well this is america soo...

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
    I don't mind my neighbors mowing. Most people around here dont have clover in their lawns, and I think my bees are mostly forging in open space anyways. I also think my bees sort of as being mutually beneficial, they pollinate my neighbors plants (including fruit trees) and in exchange I get some honey.
    What if their entire front yard was covered in clover ? I'm talking about a lawn that is literally just white with clover, and not high. They see this "not green" as a bad thing, and purposely mow the flowers because they only care about seeing "green", which is really just grass cut right down into the dirt.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Dane County, WI, USA
    Posts
    2,425

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    well this is america soo...
    Clover used to be a staple lawn grass.
    Until....
    Newly invented and aggressively marketed chems (yes, looking at you - 2,4-D) meant to eradicate them dandelions in the front yard patches of recent WWII veterans (everyone wanted that dream home post-war, however tiny, standard, and faceless; that tiny, perfectly trimmed, green patch in front of the tiny, cubicle-like beige home was the part of that dream). The promise of keeping the lawn dandelion-free with minimal personal effort was made (who does not want to feel like the rich? sure...)

    Well, too bad, the 2.4-D is a systemic poison that kills most ALL broad-leaf plants (white clover and cripping charlie included).
    What the chem companies do?
    They declare the clovers - weed!
    If it dies of the miracle herbicide, it MUST be a weed.
    And it goes.....

    All in all, non-stop treating and non-stop mowing the lawns down to 2-3 inch does nothing good but only creates resource waste and pollution.
    Set your mower high, set it to "mulch", cut once per week IF that.
    I cut my treatment-free lawn too with all its clover, charlies, dandelions and whatever else in it.
    The sheep replacement that I am - do what I can to act like a herbivore (cut the grass, pulverize well, dump right back).
    In short, you can have both - human eye pleasure and a bug pasture - all in one.
    Blooming lawn is coming back to the fashion, hopefully for while.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Richmond Illinois USA
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bdfarmer555 View Post
    While I agree it'd be a great thing for lawns to be less "kept", it drives me crazy that we bee keepers, as a collective, believe we should have a say in how everyone else should have to manage their property to suit us. We are not entitled to property ownership without paying for it.
    And yet, many HOAs will force people to either relinquish some of their ownership rights, or buy property elsewhere. As a result, lawns become a poisonous monoculture. Many farmers grow insecticidal crops, which are very harmful to the "guests" in the area. There is nothing sinister about wishing our neighbors were more aware of their place in the natural world.

    I like to mow about once every two weeks; my wife would prefer if I didn't mow at all. We have compromised on a portion of the yard which remains a wild area, home to a number of species of local weeds and flowers. We definitely have the shaggiest lawn in the subdivision (no HOA thankfully). Plus, she wants me to swerve for all the milkweeds and thistles which may pop their heads up in the mowed areas.

    Cheers,

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lake Forest Park, WA
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    While I do admire my neighbors’ immaculate lawns but I personally do not think feeding/watering/mowing lawns is worth doing. I once tried Dutch clovers and let them bloom, but then they began to get into every corner of my yard. So I covered open spaces and paths with flagstones, gravels, or woodchips. I planted low-height perennials along paths and roadside ditches, and various flowers and veggies here and there. No mowing and not much watering (except the veggies). If I had a much larger property, I would probably plant lots of bee-friendly shrubs and trees, preferably natives that require less feeding and watering.
    Last edited by Kuro; 06-24-2019 at 12:48 PM.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Litchfield, Ct, USA
    Posts
    222

    Default

    I don't mow my lawn very often under the guise of helping the bees. Just today I finally mowed my white clover-filled lawn and saw maybe one bumble bee on them and nothing else. I never really see them on the dandelions either, so I don't know.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Which would you rather have:

    1. An HOA that says you can not mow or spray clover/dandelions/bindweed in your yard and that you have to keep all of your cars in your garage, keep your garage door closed, only use the trash company they choose, and lots of other restrictions

    2. Live in a less restrictive/no HOA area and be able to do whatever you want on your property (within the bounds of city/county/state laws) and allow your neighbors to also do what they want.

    I am in a less restrictive HOA, and they still have pissed off a lot of the neighborhood multiple times. They will not allow me to have chickens (even though the city I am in allows it) but are generally not to bad.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    What if their entire front yard was covered in clover ? I'm talking about a lawn that is literally just white with clover, and not high. They see this "not green" as a bad thing, and purposely mow the flowers because they only care about seeing "green", which is really just grass cut right down into the dirt.
    I do not see the reason for the rant? It is after all their yard. Your expectation that some neighbor 3 doors down "should" give 2 hoots about your bees foraging is unrealistic. I would recommend a good book or a wood working project. Peace comes from with in, so do heart problems BTW, be mind full of which one you are working on. If you seriously are worked up about the lawn getting mowed, you need to shift your focus.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sawyer County,WI USA
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Unless my neighbors are spraying some harmful chemicals to KILL bugs or so-called weeds, chemicals that somehow find their way into my bee colonies, I really don't care what my neighbors are doing with their lawns.

    Although, my nearest neighbor is about a half mile away.

    Some folks are simply insane over having a perfect lawn, let em have it if it makes em happy.

    What I do find disturbing, something I've written about, whined and protested against for many years is the meridian and roadside mowing that takes place twice per season throughout my part of rural America, always in mid-summer while flowers are in full bloom. I've read evidence that a one mile long, 100' wide path mowed down during the blooming (nesting) periods can KILL as many as a million separate creatures, everything from small mammals, amphibians, reptiles, ground nesting birds, butteries and of course BEES of all kinds, including honeybees.

    The excuse is 'always' the same. The surrounding towns or counties must keep the roadsides clear so drivers can see deer before they run across the road, but as anyone who lives in a rural area will tell you, most deer encounters on the highways occur in the early Spring (usually dusk or dawn) and before the first blooming begins (when all critters are seeking foodstuffs) and then the action really picks up once the RUT kicks in (after the first killing frost has killed the blooms and nesting has ended) and Bucks kinda go crazy chasing the doe's all over the place. SO, That argument has never held water imo. I personally think its just about giving someone a JOB (and have been told the same), one that deserves less effort, not more....but that's just how I see it....its just one pet peeve that re-occurs every year... I can hear them all screaming right now!!!!

    I've been around this world long enough to know that people (the smart species) will do all kinds of dumb stuff (the evidence is rather substantial, no?) that we then justify doing because we may only be using the pea-sized part of our brains which negates, minimizes, and marginalizes other lifeforms that are different than ourselves or seem threatening.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan, USA
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Unless my neighbors are spraying some harmful chemicals to KILL bugs or so-called weeds, chemicals that somehow find their way into my bee colonies, I really don't care what my neighbors are doing with their lawns.

    Although, my nearest neighbor is about a half mile away.

    Some folks are simply insane over having a perfect lawn, let em have it if it makes em happy.

    What I do find disturbing, something I've written about, whined and protested against for many years is the meridian and roadside mowing that takes place twice per season throughout my part of rural America, always in mid-summer while flowers are in full bloom. I've read evidence that a one mile long, 100' wide path mowed down during the blooming (nesting) periods can KILL as many as a million separate creatures, everything from small mammals, amphibians, reptiles, ground nesting birds, butteries and of course BEES of all kinds, including honeybees.

    The excuse is 'always' the same. The surrounding towns or counties must keep the roadsides clear so drivers can see deer before they run across the road, but as anyone who lives in a rural area will tell you, most deer encounters on the highways occur in the early Spring (usually dusk or dawn) and before the first blooming begins (when all critters are seeking foodstuffs) and then the action really picks up once the RUT kicks in (after the first killing frost has killed the blooms and nesting has ended) and Bucks kinda go crazy chasing the doe's all over the place. SO, That argument has never held water imo. I personally think its just about giving someone a JOB (and have been told the same), one that deserves less effort, not more....but that's just how I see it....its just one pet peeve that re-occurs every year... I can hear them all screaming right now!!!!

    I've been around this world long enough to know that people (the smart species) will do all kinds of dumb stuff (the evidence is rather substantial, no?) that we then justify doing because we may only be using the pea-sized part of our brains which negates, minimizes, and marginalizes other lifeforms that are different than ourselves or seem threatening.
    Hi Drummer Boy, we will need to agree to disagree. First comment about spraying lawns I concur. On the mowing the edges of the roads and ditches , I would disagree, So How many deer have you hit while driving? I have driven 1.6 million miles for a "field job" I have , 32 years, totaled 4 cars and had 7 car deer accidents. the mowing saves human life and deer life, also bear turkey cat dog, anything you can see 3 or 5 seconds sooner can be better avoided. As far as the argument about mowing killing crickets, and grass hoppers the ocational bird or snake, yes i guess it could. However I submit that the tall grass right next to the road would have more of them killed by cars the 365 days of a year where a 3500 pound car is traveling 4 feet from the "habitat" By Mowing the edge the critters do not tend to hang out near the road as there is no longer any cover, I IMO think it is a wash. In the old days they sprayed the road sides ,2 times I lost 10 or more colony to the spray, mid 70s, as they did it during the sweet clover bloom. When the spraying stopped and the mowing started I said thank god.
    Also for me in Michigan the mowed areas have a regrowth which then re blooms later to extend the species flow into September, all mowed things re grow and re bloom out of cycle to extend the flow in those strips. I now partially mow my farm the same way. every 3 weeks mow a few rounds, leaving 50% untouched and having several stages of blooms. Over all I think the mowing is beneficial to the bees. carefully watch the mowed areas and the main bloom is over and there is late bloom in the mowed areas.
    As far as the giving some one a job, that person is blowing smoke up your shorts. Every county I have connections with are getting rid of jobs, most of the mowing is now contracted out. the job creation is not happening here for a "mowing" job.
    GG

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)
    Posts
    275

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    As far as the giving some one a job, that person is blowing smoke up your shorts. Every county I have connections with are getting rid of jobs, most of the mowing is now contracted out. the job creation is not happening here for a "mowing" job.
    GG
    Well...
    Moving off the original topic, but someone is still getting that job, whether it's a county employee, or a contractor working on a contract. When the work is contracted out, they're just moving the burden of payroll, benefits, taxes and retirement off their books and onto someone elses books.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Campbell River, BC, CA
    Posts
    1,611

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    The excuse is 'always' the same. The surrounding towns or counties must keep the roadsides clear so drivers can see deer before they run across the road, but as anyone who lives in a rural area will tell you, most deer encounters on the highways occur in the early Spring (usually dusk or dawn) and before the first blooming begins (when all critters are seeking foodstuffs) and then the action really picks up once the RUT kicks in (after the first killing frost has killed the blooms and nesting has ended) and Bucks kinda go crazy chasing the doe's all over the place. SO, That argument has never held water imo. I personally think its just about giving someone a JOB (and have been told the same), one that deserves less effort, not more....but that's just how I see it....its just one pet peeve that re-occurs every year... I can hear them all screaming right now!!!!
    Me thinks if you dont have an issue with deer and traffic, then you dont have much of a deer population. Around here, deer hit on the hiway is a daily event. If I drive from here to the city 100miles south of us in the early am or late evening, will see at least a hundred of them along the road, and probably one or two carcasses of deer that wandered into the traffic trying to get into what looks like lush green grass on the median. Easy to spot the carcass from a distance, the turkey vultures will be there.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sawyer County,WI USA
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Hi Drummer Boy, we will need to agree to disagree. First comment about spraying lawns I concur. On the mowing the edges of the roads and ditches , I would disagree, So How many deer have you hit while driving? I have driven 1.6 million miles for a "field job" I have , 32 years, totaled 4 cars and had 7 car deer accidents. the mowing saves human life and deer life, also bear turkey cat dog, anything you can see 3 or 5 seconds sooner can be better avoided. As far as the argument about mowing killing crickets, and grass hoppers the ocational bird or snake, yes i guess it could. However I submit that the tall grass right next to the road would have more of them killed by cars the 365 days of a year where a 3500 pound car is traveling 4 feet from the "habitat" By Mowing the edge the critters do not tend to hang out near the road as there is no longer any cover, I IMO think it is a wash. In the old days they sprayed the road sides ,2 times I lost 10 or more colony to the spray, mid 70s, as they did it during the sweet clover bloom. When the spraying stopped and the mowing started I said thank god.
    Also for me in Michigan the mowed areas have a regrowth which then re blooms later to extend the species flow into September, all mowed things re grow and re bloom out of cycle to extend the flow in those strips. I now partially mow my farm the same way. every 3 weeks mow a few rounds, leaving 50% untouched and having several stages of blooms. Over all I think the mowing is beneficial to the bees. carefully watch the mowed areas and the main bloom is over and there is late bloom in the mowed areas.
    As far as the giving some one a job, that person is blowing smoke up your shorts. Every county I have connections with are getting rid of jobs, most of the mowing is now contracted out. the job creation is not happening here for a "mowing" job.
    GG
    Well, I'm in my 70's, been driving Americas highways since I was 15 and in that time I've only had '2' deer encounters and one cow incident.....all many years ago and none were serious enough to put the truck out of commission, and we did have burger meat, free for the taking.

    For several years I drove a school bus (the wife did too), also had a govt job where I drove to several different Reservations throughout MN, WI and MI for several years working with Native Veterans, and have cris-crossed this Country several times.....never kept track of the miles.

    My advise to folks that frequently hit deer....Slow down and keep your eyes on the road.

    BTW; I've not noticed any less dead deer on highways mowed compared to those un-mowed....just a personal observation.

    No one is getting rid of jobs in Sawyer County, WI that I'm aware of. Jobs are consistently invented to keep folks working and at bay....at least until AI takes hold and puts us all out of work and provides us all a life of leisure

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sawyer County,WI USA
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Rant: People really need to stop mowing lawns every single week.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo3 View Post
    I don't mow my lawn very often under the guise of helping the bees. Just today I finally mowed my white clover-filled lawn and saw maybe one bumble bee on them and nothing else. I never really see them on the dandelions either, so I don't know.
    Me too. Unless we get a lot of rain, I'll mow our roughly two acres of lawn (most of it is in paths leading to several gardens) every 2-4 weeks.

    We must consider that Pollinators will hit on specific plants at different times of the day. Unless we are able to spend an entire day, week or month watching flowers bloom its not hard to believe that we may miss honeybees preferred collection days and times of day. Just because we don't see something happening doesn't mean it isn't going on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •