Wax Moths and wood ash
    ToweringOakFarm - Cleveland- Southern East Texas

Has anyone tried using wood ash under their hives as a deterrent to pest propagating around them?

I was trying to find information on what pH certain pests prefer.

Im new to BK and will receive my 2 new hives next week. I live in southern side of East Texas in the woods and always have plenty of ash left over from storm cleanups. Just doing plenty of reading and video watching.

The reason im getting into BK is because im not seeing the pollinators I once did around here. We used to have tons of bees pollinating our fruit trees and garden. The number of honey bees dropped where i didn't see any. I did see large amount of bumblebees in its place. Now i dont see them. People are moving out here to become ranchers and clearing all the trees. I have found the bumblebees hibernating in pine trees that have fallen over. Now you don't see any around.
    Last edited by 1954Lincoln; 06-20-2019 at 12:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax Moths and wood ash

Wax moths go through their entire life cycle in the hive, so ashes on the ground will make no difference. Small hive beetles pupate in the ground, so it might, though I doubt it. They are VERY tough.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I remember reading a post and watching a related video from a beekeeper in Eastern Europe - Romania, Ukraine - somewhere in that neck of the woods. (My memory isn't what it once was ... )

She used buckets of wood-ash inside a purpose-made shed - the idea being to fill the empty comb cells with wood-ash for comb storage. Can't remember now how she went about filling both sides ...

This technique completely stopped the wax-moths from breeding - so wood-ash does work as a wax-moth deterrent - only not placed on the ground.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Wood ash works good on ants. Like on intercovers